Too many entities?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Too many entities?

fox95871(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hello, part of my engine has buttons for editing about 50 cubes you use to make areas with. They work fine, but whenever I have more than about 20 selected, it becomes difficult to select more, sometimes taking a few clicks. Is this a ram problem, or code? And what can I do to fix it in either case? Thanks, hope someone can help!

H. T. U.(Posted 2008) [#2]
My computer can handle over 1000 cubes without severe slowdown. This could be caused by any number of things depending on your code. Could you post some code(and maybe some computer specs just to be sure)?

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#3]
I can't see this being a RAM problem with the numbers you mentioned, but it's virtually impossible to answer this question with the small amount of information you have provided.

I'd recommend you post some code, and perhaps some screenshots, so we have a better idea of what you are doing and what could potentially be going wrong.

Zeotrope(Posted 2008) [#4]
Check your mouse button hit routine(s) ....you cant call them more than once per cycle as they are not relible.

xxx=mousehit(1) ...call this once only....and check xxx

Happened to me...but without code, who knows?

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#5]
It may be a surface count problem. Each cube would be a seperate surface. Couple that with linepick calls, your probably asking for trouble. You could limit your linepick distance by placing a plane covering the entire area of the viewing area. That would give you a finite distance the linepick will travel, instead of letting it go it's maximum distance.

fox95871(Posted 2008) [#6]
The code's too messed up right now to post, but the problem seems to be more with the 2D content than the 3D. It's the buttons. Selecting up to 20 is fine, but anything after that and you get about a 50 percent chance of them getting selected when you click on them. I'll try to post some code soon. Thanks for the suggestions!