Line continuation character?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Line continuation character?

LamptonWorm(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi,

Easy one!

Does anyone know what the line continuation character is for Blitz3D? I searched the installed help files for 'continuation' but no joy.

Cheers,
LW.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#2]
I assume your looking for an ASCII code. Can i ask what this is for?

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#3]
You mean like this;
Graphic3D 800, 600, 0, 2 : Setbuffer BackBuffer()

If you mean this, the character is : semicolon

LamptonWorm(Posted 2008) [#4]
Hi,

I didn't explain very well. Colon thing is interesting though, but what I mean is I have a line of code that is pretty long and using IDEal I can switch word wrap on to see the whole line, but I thought there was a char to split a line (anywhere along the line) to so can break up long lines of code to be more readable, for example...

text 0,0,"Hello World"

...could be...

text 0,0 <
< ,"Hello World"

Where '<' is the split character.

Perhaps I'm thinking of another language ;-)

Cheers,
LW.

Mikel(Posted 2008) [#5]
This was recently asked and Blitz3D does not have a line continuation character.

It sucks but there you go!

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#6]
hmmm... that would be an interesting addition to blitz 3d but I dont think it can do that in its current state... perhaps a less used symbol such as ~ could be the split character?

LamptonWorm(Posted 2008) [#7]
Ah well, no worries.

Ta,
LW.

GIB3D(Posted 2008) [#8]
or why not like this

lol, that makes it.. kind of... shorter

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#9]
In BlitzMax it's the _ that does this... But IIRC B3D doesn't have one.

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#10]
At least you can have an infinite line, in Blitz3D u.u

LamptonWorm(Posted 2008) [#11]
Cheers folks.

blade007(Posted 2008) [#12]

At least you can have an infinite line, in Blitz3D u.u

Eventually, when a line becomes extremely long, it will automatically start a new line.

_PJ_(Posted 2008) [#13]
Yeah that happened for me today actually!

Luckily I managed to JUST get it squeexed in in the end :)

Return Pi*(MajorAxis+MinorAxis)+((3*((MajorAxis-MinorAxis)/(MajorAxis+MinorAxis))^2)/(10+Sqr(4-(3*((MajorAxis-MinorAxis)/(MajorAxis+MinorAxis))^2))))

Sure, though, worst come to worst, it's always possible to split it up somehow.

What would be better than a 'continuation character' would just be whitespace (bluespace?), but then I guess a lot of other things would break.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#14]
It's nothing Malice, take a look at my particle creation function.

Function ParticleNew.tPart( parent, sound$, x#, y#, z#, frame, spd#, spdVar#, spdChange#, rndSpdX#, rndSpdY#, rndSpdZ#, size#, sizeVar#, sizeChange#, sizeMax#, alpha#, alphaVar#, alphaChange#, weight#, weightVar#, rotMode%, rotVal#, horAlign%, R%, G%, B%, colorVar%, xStart#, yStart#, zStart#, xWidth#, yWidth#, zWidth#, shapeMode%, innerAngle#, outerAngle#, circularDegree#, lifeTime%, GroundHeight#, Elasticity#, MaxBounces%, pulseStr#, blendMode%, fadeRadius#, delayTime%, duration%, emissionRate% )

;Here is the usage
bubble.tPart = ParticleNew( camera\cam, "Media\sound\nefes.ogg", .5, -1, 1.5, 1, 0, 0, 0, .001, 0, .001, .1, .2, 0, 0.1, 1, 0, 0, -.2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 255, 255, 255, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 3, 0, 0, 0, 3360, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 3000, 1000, 50 )

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#15]
wow mortiss... u seriously use that... haha I would just give up on remembering all of that

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#16]
Well, I don't have to remember, I have a visual particle source generator. I design the particle and it generates the code.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#17]
In BlitzMax it's the _ that does this... But IIRC B3D doesn't have one.
Its actually '..' in Blitzmax. Visual Studio uses _, or at least VB and C# (I think) do.

big10p(Posted 2008) [#18]
If C# is anything like C/C++ then you don't need a special line break char/chars since all whitespace is stripped out by the preprocessor and statements have to be specifically terminated using the ; character. I often do things like:
my_amazing_func(
               "my god, it's full of stars!",
               x,y,z,
               "noodles"
               );

See, using ; as a terminator does have it's benefits. :)