Libraries

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Libraries

Sph!nx(Posted 2008) [#1]
I know, I've started another post about this a while ago, but that was mainly about physics libraries. Got that covered now.

2D
I can't decide which looks better to me. Sprite Candy or NSprite 2. Both look pretty impressive to me. Which one works best and which one has most features?

Particles
Got this covered. I guess Particle Candy is the best, but any suggestions are welcome!

Visuals
What would be the best library for light rendering, bumpmapping, shadows etc.?

Any help here is really appreciated!

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#2]
Sprite Candy
Particle Candy
FastExt

josk(Posted 2008) [#3]
I'd agree with Mortiis.
I have both Sprite Candy and Particle Candy which are good especially Sprite Candy.
Not got FastExt yet but from the demo it looks good.

Sph!nx(Posted 2008) [#4]
Ok Thanks. So Sprite candy covers most of the other fastlibs then? And what features does NSprite has than Sprite Candy does not?

I know I have many questions, but buying a decent set of libraries costs money, I like to have all information I can get!

Thanks!

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#5]
You can buy all the fast libs for %50 off. FastImage, FastText, FastExt.
Though Candy libraries have great documents and they are well coded and easy to use. FastExt is fast and reliable.

Sph!nx(Posted 2008) [#6]
Thanks Mortiis!

Having problems with their purchase site, but I emailed the author about it.

Anyone here have experience with Nsprite 2? It looks likes it designed to make 2D games in the Blitz3D engine. Does NSprite has a lot of features sprite candy does not have?

Can sprite candy and/or NSprite be used to effectively create 2D worlds?

Thanks a lot!

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#7]
The fast libs are great. They add alot to the visuals of your project :o)

Sph!nx(Posted 2008) [#8]
Thanks. Yeah, I intend to buy them, but I'm afraid my email is not accepted through his payment system. I mailed him about it.

I've seen the demo of Sprite Candy, looks awesome too. I also intend to buy that library as well.

One final question! :D

What would be the best library to use when building 2D worlds?

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#9]
I had the same problem with the emails don't worry, Mikhail will send you the download link.

I use SpriteCandy and I strongly recommend it. Great set of commands. It has everything you need, even a sprite based gui and text system and their programs + an image packer that generates the loading code.

Sph!nx(Posted 2008) [#10]
Excellent, Mortiis! Thanks! I'm now pretty confident in the libs I'm gonna buy. I already have JV-ODE and will get all the fast-libs and both the candy libs. I think that should be a stable base of Libs to make great games!

Later I plan on buying the tree- and grass party libs. But those have no priority.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#11]
Don't forget to buy Swift Shadow System too.

Sph!nx(Posted 2008) [#12]
I don't know about than one yet. I find the $95.20 for the commercial license quite expensive. I only buy licenses that I can use for commercial products. Who knows what great games we, me and the rest of the team, might produce!

I found Devil Shadow System. That one looks good enough and it's free to use, even for commercial products. Perhaps Devils Shadow is not that good, its always something to be properly implemented at later stages in development, I guess.

Thanks again. I think I have quite a clear view on what I need now!

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#13]
Buy the shareware licence, are you going to produce boxed games that will be sold in stores? If you are just going to produce indie games and sell them through internet shareware licence is okay.

Sph!nx(Posted 2008) [#14]
Really? Sweet! Than that on my list as well! Thanks.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#15]
Now pay me my commission everyone library creators :D