2D Games

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/2D Games

Sph!nx(Posted 2008) [#1]
My sister is a really good drawing artist and I thought her art could work perfect for a 2D game!

I know this has been discussed many times before, but still haven't found the answers I need, but what would be the best way to make 2D worlds in B3D?

I've found information on something called 'mapeditor' but that one is no longer being sold. I think I have a general idea how to program it in Blitz3D but I haven't got a clue on how to 'drop' the objects around in my 2D enviroment.

Don't know if Blitz3D is that effective for 2D games, should I buy another Blitz variant, like BlitzPlus or BlitzMax?

Thanks a lot!

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#2]
Blitz3D has everything you need to create 2d games. There is no need to buy any other blitz project. As for creating 2d levels..you should just create your own editor. Like I did :)

Sph!nx(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks GIZMO,

Yeah, I read something about writing your own editor before too, but I'm afraid I still lack the coding skills. :o\ I have absolutely no experience in 'safe functions' (write to info to disc) and stuff, so that is no option at this time, I'm afraid.

Are there any other map editors out there?

Thanks!

GfK(Posted 2008) [#4]
Use google and search for "Mappy".

There was also one called "FishEd" (which wasn't free) but I recall that the author disappeared so I'd give that one a miss until somebody says otherwise.

Trouble with generic map editors is that A) They don't have the exact features you need, and B) They have half a million features that you don't need. So I'd use your own and use it as a learning experience. Plus you have to write a lot of the map editor code anyway since you can use the same code to draw the map for your game.

Sph!nx(Posted 2008) [#5]
Making a 2D game is more difficult for me than 3D :P I will search the code archives for examples then!

Thanks!

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#6]
I have absolutely no experience in 'safe functions' (write to info to disc) and stuff, so that is no option at this time, I'm afraid.

Hmmm.....well then how about we build one together??

Oh. Here is a basic example of how to create a file.

Warner(Posted 2008) [#7]
You could create a 3D game that looks like a 2D game. That will enable you do use hardware acc., alpha, real time sprite rotation and scaling.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#8]
It's true about 2d map editors. You will need stuff like event triggers and your own number of collision layers etc etc.

Barnabius(Posted 2008) [#9]
Sph!nx, get yourself Sprite Candy. It'll make your life much easier. I have yet to see a better system for writing 2D-in-3D games anywhere.

Barney

Sph!nx(Posted 2008) [#10]
@ GIZMO : Wow, thanks a lot m8! I'm currently discussing with my sis about the game concept. There are alternatives to Blitz, more fitting for 2D and easier in use, but then again, I would feel like cheating :P When we have a solid game idea we are going to start working on the engine and tools and building one with you would be very good! Thanks a lot!

@ Warner & Ross : Thanks guys, after we've got our game concept we will 'invent' the best possible engine for that. Yeah, I've though of doing a '2D mimic' in a 3D environment but I like to experiment with 'full 2D', cause I've never did that before in Blitz :P

@ Barnabius : Great suggestion. That library is already on 'to buy' list!

Thanks everybody, all your help is much appreciated!

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#11]
@ GIZMO : Wow, thanks a lot m8! I'm currently discussing with my sis about the game concept. There are alternatives to Blitz, more fitting for 2D and easier in use, but then again, I would feel like cheating :P When we have a solid game idea we are going to start working on the engine and tools and building one with you would be very good! Thanks a lot!

Ok :)

Sph!nx(Posted 2008) [#12]
I have 2 question, indirectly aimed at this topic.

I found the Blitz3D Programming Manual. Is this a little up to-date and does it cover a lot of stuff that are not in the docs?

When I did a little research on these boards on writing my own 2D map editor, I stumbled on Learn to Program 2D Games in Blitz Basic. It does not really seems a book aimed at Blitz3D... can someone tell me a bit more about this book?

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#13]
Hi

1) The Blitz3D Programming Manual is basically a print out of the manual/help. It does have a few examples and tutorials, but tbh, if you have made anything in blitz3D before you won't find it that useful. I have a copy here, and I would buy it again, just as its sometimes nice to have a printed copy of the help file. But really thats all it is.

2) The second book is pretty much considered to be the best book for blitz2D's command set and learnign game creation (and of course blitz3d's 2d stuff). I believe you can still get a copy of it, but its best to directly contact this company, who hold the rights to it (as far as I am aware), http://www.idigicon.com/