B3d animation

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/B3d animation

FantomKite(Posted 2008) [#1]
hi.
how can i export an animated mesh from 3ds to b3d without problems? I've tried 3Dpipeline, but mesh animation itself did not exported at all, and bone animation looks weird. I think that the best way is to use animator for b3d, but all the links in Toolbox page are dead. Maybe someone can help me?..

stayne(Posted 2008) [#2]
Try Ultimate Unwrap 3D (http://www.unwrap3d.com/). I'm fairly certain it can import animated 3ds models and export into b3d format with animations intact.

FantomKite(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks stayne,
but i can't download it too :( Something is wrong with links..

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#4]
..i assure you, you did something wrong, since im using pipeling long long time and never had an issue

FantomKite(Posted 2008) [#5]
Actually i'm sure i did.
Ok, then that's the problem:
how can i step-by-step import an animated character with texture into my game?

Thanks.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#6]
Download Blender www.blender.org
Download Blender B3D exporter http://www.gandaldf.com/

IPete2(Posted 2008) [#7]
3DS Max:

make character model
make texture
UV map texture to character model
make bones
rig bones into character using skin modifier - be careful with weighting - read up on this maybe
ensure B3D Pipeline is installed correctly - not sure check note on www.onigirl.com
Hide any controls you don't want to eport with the animatied mesh
Export b3d from MAX as either an animated mesh with animation OR export just the mesh and then export the animation separately and use LoadAnimSeq in B3d to use them together (check b3d docs)

Now to get them to animate you MUST animate the root - so YOU HAVE to find the root bone and tell B3d thats what you want to use:

Animate rootbone,1,1,0,10

or similar.

Textures have to be in the same folder as the model - it doesnt matter where they were in Max.

If this doesnt work - make a note of the setting you use in B3D Pipeline and methodically try different combinations

Alternatively you could get the U3D xporter from Max and give that a whirl as Stayne suggests.

Now if it is animating but the mesh is all over the place and distroted its probably the weighting so go back and check your process inside Max.

IPete2.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#8]
The root bone step is super important!

MoonShadow(Posted 2009) [#9]
wow ..Posted 9 months ago

well, I try to use Milkshape3d and I try Blender and I can Import and Export the mesh , but when I try to import 3ds with animation in both program, it only import the mesh not animation. To test it out I just did a basic cylinder and animated using a basic bend with about 20 frames. I import to those programs Milkshape3d and blender and it doesn't have animation? I'm going to try read manuals and stuff but if anybody knows how to ,please let me know.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#10]
The 3DS format does not (and cannot) contain any bones or weights, so if you're using skeletal animation, it won't work with the 3DS format. The only format which works with bones is B3D. MD2 will work also, but it will not use bones, it will morph the vertices individually.

MoonShadow(Posted 2009) [#11]
Thanks. I figure out with pipeline3d and milkshape3d to export 3ds to b3d. But so far I'm having problem with morph animations. I install those program perfectly and they run perfect, but I don't know what i'm doing wrong that when I export a mesh with an animation, they don't morph on Blitz, just move/scale/rotate. I will keep reading. :oS Thanks!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#12]
As Gabriel said, a 3ds File can contain only move/rotation/scale animation. If you want Vertex Morph, then you must export as MD2. If you want Bones Animation then you must export as B3D, for example by using B3D Pipeline. You may also export in DirectX8 .X and then use an other App to convert to B3D, eg. with Fragmotion.