FPS Project

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/FPS Project

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#1]
a group of us have been working on a first person shooter project at the jandscreations.com forums..i just thought i would share what we have so far with all of you...if anyone wants to join the project it just requires you to join our forums so you can post...here is a link to download the whole project so far...we are on update 3 and expect another soon...this includes all media and code...enjoy...pirate

killerx has added some screenies below...

download...
http://www.jandscreations.com/files/rdarkupdate3.zip

jandscreations forums...
http://jandscreations.proboards105.com/index.cgi

KillerX(Posted 2008) [#2]

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#3]
ok this looks promising... I will join soon :)

I have a system I have been developing for 2d sprites and it looks like you still need some kind of sprite engine for some nice 2d fx for the HUD and other things I will join the forums as soon as possible.

Zeotrope(Posted 2008) [#4]
I really hate to be negative ....not sure what experience you guys have...but this needs a lot of work to get up to standard.

Understandably, the HUD is text based as you must be in early testing stages. However the texturing, lighting and general modelling reminds me of Quake1 mods. Not the sort of stuff that can wow ppl, but is a work in progress. (The 21+ Meg download is a bit of a worry when these screens are your best?)

Everyone needs to start somewhere....have a look (a close look) at some of the constructive critisism on this website - as well as the showcases. Your peers here will keep you on course.

No point re-inventing the wheel. Basic FPS games are a dime a dozen.

My 2¢

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#5]
The problem with that is: we don't exactly have a great modeler. Such as LeadWerks or LightWave. Or, at least I don't.

Zeotrope(Posted 2008) [#6]
Lots of free stuff on the net (weapon packs etc) you can use as placeholders until you get to model your own.

Keep going.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#7]
true but the purpose for this is not to be the next crysis, nor even just a mediocre(graphicly) fps, its just learn how to code and finish up a game(something most of us could learn) and have fun doing it. i will however look up some environment models and such.

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#8]
I really hate to be negative ....not sure what experience you guys have...but this needs a lot of work to get up to standard.

Understandably, the HUD is text based as you must be in early testing stages. However the texturing, lighting and general modelling reminds me of Quake1 mods. Not the sort of stuff that can wow ppl, but is a work in progress. (The 21+ Meg download is a bit of a worry when these screens are your best?)

you can be negative if you want...the experience on this project does not matter it is just for fun and all code and models etc. will be open to everyone...the HUD is still being made...there is no lighting yet...the models are not top of the line, but they are mostly made by our members...this is just a fun project for people to have a bit of a learning experience...it is not for making money...it is just to prove that a few [edit] team members [edit] can get together and bring whatever experience they have or none and finish a game from beginning to end...i have yet to see a community project completely finished...we aim to prove that it can be done...we're not trying to win an award...thanks, pirate

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#9]
thanks now i'm a misfit :)

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#10]
the definition of misfits....dictionary definition is: 1] a poor fit 2] a maladjusted person.....jandscreations definition is: 1] a person who would join a project for no money and do tons of work and have fun doing it....2] someone who would do tons of work and give it all away including source and media just to help someone that is starting out in making games...i like the jandscreations version better...it fits you perfectly...

KillerX(Posted 2008) [#11]
This is what is in my dictionary:

1. somebody who does not belong: somebody who does not fit comfortably into a situation or environment
a social misfit

2. something ill-fitting: something that fits badly

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#12]
someone not suitable for a given position or environment; someone dressed inappropriately; incompatibility; someone who will not succeed. misfit\mis*fit"\ , n.

the act or the state of fitting badly; as, a misfit in making a coat; a ludicrous misfit.

A misfit is a person who is not easily accepted by other people, often because their behaviour is very different from that of everyone else. I have been made to feel a social and psychological misfit for not wanting children. someone who does not seem to belong in a particular group of people, and who is not accepted by that group, because they are very different from the other group members.

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#13]
would a "pirate" be a misfit?

on a serious note...i guess misfit would be the wrong word to use...we are a team (a group organized to work together)

i did not mean to offend anyone by calling them misfits...sorry...
i was just kidding around a little...i am the only one that fits the misfit definition....pirate

Ace Killjoy(Posted 2008) [#14]
I like it!
It's better than what I'm doing so far.
I want to see it when it's finished.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#15]
..no matter what kind of comments you hear around, bad or good..just..keep it up..keep it upp...keep it upp..

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#16]
Here is a screenshot with my health bar working!

Knight #51(Posted 2008) [#17]
Nice NateTheGreat :)

_PJ_(Posted 2008) [#18]
Sure it's not the best looking thing out there, but as you say, you're working on making a game, not intending it to rival Far Cry 2 or whatever. I'm sure it's a great way to learn and great to see that you guys are working on it withion your capacity and delivering original content.

Best of luck with this and I really hope you get it finished.

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#19]
thanks malice,
i appreciate that...you are always welcome to come help us out....pirate

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2008) [#20]
Been there, seen it. Good luck! Not bad so far.

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#21]
thanks, jfk...pirate