terrain heightmap edges question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/terrain heightmap edges question

tsmpaul(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi guys. I was just wondering, I was playing with LoadTerrain command, using either bitmaps or tga files, in greyscale, and I'm having strange problems. The terrain mesh it creates looks fine - except for the edges of it. One of the edges of the terrain square rises up into the air like a thin wall all along that side. I checked the bitmap image, and most of the pixels along that edge are black, so should be at height zero, right? It seems that it doesn't matter what height the edge pixels in my heightmap images are, on each heightmap I created, at least one of the edges was a tall wall all along that side. This is annoying me at the moment, because I have a pattern of 3 x 3 terrain objects, to tile together to form a larger terrain scene, but where they meet, many of them suddenly rise up in walls... Anyone else have the problem and know what to do about it? Thanks!

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#2]
Is the entire border of the image black? The only way i can think, it to manually loop through and set each height to it's neighbour position, or a position that suits you.

stayne(Posted 2008) [#3]
I think blitz3d terrains are set to tile which means one side is trying to match the other. You need to zero all edges like Ross said if they are not already and you'll be fine.

tsmpaul(Posted 2008) [#4]
thanks guys!