huge maps

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/huge maps

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#1]
Okay... I am kinda new to 3d programing in gerneral and I was working on a game called destructo car. It is a mix of polymaniacs, mario cart, and indestructo tank in 3d...

so to the point... I know if I created a huge world with all of the cars, it would be too big to have a decent frame rate. What is an effective way to make things more efficient and still look the same?

Andy(Posted 2008) [#2]
You can either cut your world up in pieces and hide the pieces not seen, or load the pieces not seen as they are about to be used and then discard them when they are no longer relevant.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2008) [#3]
you can use LOD for higher fps too.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#4]
oh... ok I will try that.... I have never written a game with huge levels before so I might need some more help in the future :) thanks!

CodeOrc(Posted 2008) [#5]
If you build your world via Heightmap>Terrain then what t3K|Mac said will work pretty good as Blitz will auto-lod for you.

As Andy suggested, that way works as well...depends on your modeling/artist skills or resources as to what option will work best for you.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#6]
ok I will use the heightmap but that won't work for everything

ex. trees and the track

Is there anything specific I should do for those or does camera distance and fog make the graphics card ignore entities that are too far away?

CodeOrc(Posted 2008) [#7]
In my opinion you can use HeightMap>Terrain for ambient ground and static mesh for your track/trees but you will have to be VERY observant to make sure that the color value you select for "track level" on your Heightmap is indeed flat.

Meaning, if your "flat" color is 200,200,200, them make sure it has no artifacts in it that might force a vert to pop through the track.

Secondly, I would use a modeling program that allows for making terrain from your Heightmap so you can align all your static meshes properly. So load in your HM, make terrain based on it via your modeling proggy, then place/export static objects, delete terrain or save as file for later reference but do not use the new static terrain...it is just for your static object reference.

I use Max 6 and thats how I use code HeightMap>Terrain and static meshes. I also use a free pulg-in called "glue" that will "suck down" all my static assets to the terrain with out me needing to painfully lower everything. then I export my static meshes, run the proggy, and walla...everything lines up.

Your camera combined with range, and fog close/near will handle a fair portion of poly's to be rendered per frame.

well, thats my 2 cents...anyone else?