2.0 update?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/2.0 update?

Phillip(Posted 2008) [#1]
Was wondering when the 2.0 update for Blitz3D is gonna be released? It seems like 1.99 has been out forever.

Mark, hope you'll give us all an update.

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#2]
You should read Marks worklogs.
2008-05-14 and then 2008-05-16

Phillip(Posted 2008) [#3]
I did & there's no specfic timeline for the update's possible release?

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#4]
I did & there's no specfic timeline for the update's possible release?

That's because there's no specfic timeline for the update's possible release. Nobody knows if/when such a release will occur, or even if any such release is planned. I doubt even the developer knows at this point.

It's been indicated that Blitz3D is in a finalized state - so the developer probably has no plans for such a release.

Personally, I'd be happier seeing development centered entirely on BlitzMax and its associated modules and libraries.

Phillip(Posted 2008) [#5]
Hopefully 2.0 will be the final release with all major bug fixes & minor ones too. That'd be a he** of a way to end the Blitz3D development(if all this is true about it not being further developed).

GfK(Posted 2008) [#6]
Hopefully 2.0 will be the final release with all major bug fixes & minor ones too
What bugs?

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#7]
imagescollide not working on some comps, copyrect not working etc

GfK(Posted 2008) [#8]
imagescollide not working on some comps, copyrect not working etc
I just checked the bug reports forum. CopyRect only shows up there because it doesn't copy alpha. Given that its from the original Blitz Basic 2D commandset, it doesn't and never has claimed to support alpha, so I wouldn't consider that to be a bug at all.

As for imagescollide, I've never encountered it failing (I'm not saying it doesn't) but the information about it in the bug reports forum is sparse. Not one person complaining about it has bothered to post some example code that replicates the problem.

If it was that important, why wouldn't they??

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#9]
I think as well, it's not blitz that is broken so to speak, it's various new driver releases, breaking the way blitz would usually work. Remember blitz is pretty old now, and it's only receiving very minor bug fixes. I think the team have done well to fix the recent bugs in blitz3d, considering the shear amount of different drivers and OS being used now.

Ace Killjoy(Posted 2008) [#10]
I wouldn't mind if they added some compatabilities to blitz3D.
(cough).mb & .ma(cough)

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#11]
yeah a few extra formats would be nice but it not neccesary, just get uu3d to convert .ma to .b3d. as for imagescollide, i have a piece of code that could replicate it, but i think was/is a driver issue. i was using a intel integrated chip at the time.

SLotman(Posted 2008) [#12]
What bugs?

Just from the top of my head:

- Antialias not working
- Alpha Z sorting (so no problems rendering multiple alphaed meshes/textures)
- Printscreen not being read by Keyhit/Keydown.

Also having an appIcon command and being able to set initial window state/size when starting the program would be nice.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#13]
Alpha Z sorting isn't a blitz3d bug, as far as i'm aware. It's to do with the alpha pixels not having a place in the z-buffer, so they have no sense of depth and are all blended together. Maybe if blitz included manual z sorting routine, it would help.

QuickSilva(Posted 2008) [#14]
Turning off texture filtering would also be a most welcome addition so that my sprites (pixel art style) are not blurred when scaled.

I`m still hopeful that it may one day get added. What I really hope is that Mark decides to just spend a week or so tidying up these little niggly issues then Blitz3D can be considered finished.

Jason.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#15]
Yeah, that would be nice. I THINK, the fastext lib lets you turn off bi-linear filtering AND lets you control mipmap distances though. You might want to check that out.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#16]
is the fastext lib worth it

I have heard it is not worth it but I don't know how much it costs.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#17]
I would totally disagree. If your after screen effects not possible in blitz as it currenty stands, then it's totally worth it. Try the demo at least.

SLotman(Posted 2008) [#18]
Alpha Z sorting isn't a blitz3d bug, as far as i'm aware. It's to do with the alpha pixels not having a place in the z-buffer, so they have no sense of depth and are all blended together.

Of course it is. Every 3D engine that dont sort all polygons according to camera distance prior to rendering them has this bug.

Maybe if blitz included manual z sorting routine, it would help.

Something Like "AlphaSort(camera)" would be perfect...

I even though of writing one myself (using those hacks to loop through every entity and using EntityOrder... but since I read that EntityOrder tends to make meshes render incorrectly, I gave up)

Not having this alpha sort, is probably one of the reasons B3D is so fast :P

There´s even a demo (on dx7sdk or dx8sdk, I dont remember) with some trees on a terrain that shows the alpha problem, and how sorting the trees according to their depth from the camera solves the problem.

blade007(Posted 2008) [#19]

SLotman said:

...Printscreen not being read by Keyhit/Keydown.

This happens when you press Print Scr after Cls and before Flip occured. If you press it at the right time you can get it, or you could program a Print Scr function inside your program.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#20]
It's still not a bug in blitz3d ;o)

Would be handy though. I've resorted to having the add blend, which looks ok mostly.

SLotman(Posted 2008) [#21]
This happens when you press Print Scr after Cls and before Flip occured. If you press it at the right time you can get it, or you could program a Print Scr function inside your program.

I´m not talking about capturing the screen, I´m talking about recognizing the print screen KEY! Check this out: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=80902

It's still not a bug in blitz3d ;o)

Heh, not exactly a "bug", but something that needs to be implemented on B3D engine...

Would be handy though. I've resorted to having the add blend, which looks ok mostly.

It´s my main complaint about B3D... hope it will be done someday, but won´t get my hopes up :(