Blitz3D vs DarkBasic

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Blitz3D vs DarkBasic

Christer(Posted 2008) [#1]
With one is best Blitz3D or DarkBasic? (make a 3d game)

Vorderman(Posted 2008) [#2]
Blitz easily - just take a browse through the Gallery / Showcase sections on the two manufacturers websites and observe the massive difference in quality. Even DBPro stuff just can't compare.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#3]
With one is best Blitz3D or DarkBasic? (make a 3d game)
This is a Blitz forum.

Now, I know you aren't psychic, but what do you envisage that the results of this poll will be?

Kev(Posted 2008) [#4]

Now, I know you aren't psychic, but what do you envisage that the results of this poll will be?

Would that be DarkBasic :P

Warner(Posted 2008) [#5]
heheh

Sph!nx(Posted 2008) [#6]
Well, I've been browsing a lot of information about DB-pro too. I might buy it.

From what I've learned :

Both are very similar, yet have differences. DB-pro has some higher graphical features, yet has some stability issues. Both use a form of basic, just use a little different syntax.

I prefer Blitz syntax, cause it has more 'system' and DB-pro seems too simplified to make sense. Just my humble opinion but I'm attracted to some of the features of DB-pro, yet I believe, that the basic features in both programs, are more stable and flexible in Blitz.

I'm glad I started with Blitz but I might buy DB-pro, though just out of curiosity. I can't really say which one is better yet, but I will post my findings when I do.

There is just one thing I really do not understand. During my 'research' I've learned that there is much hate between the Blitz community and the DB-Pro community. Specially on the DB forums. Why is that? Aren't we all mature people who share the passion of making games/apps?

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#7]
No, you get a lot of sad nerds on programming forums, who need to have a dying allegience to something. Unfortunelty. Oh and i would choose blitz 3d too. Dark Basic Pro has some nice fancy shaders and graphical stuff, and some more advanced language features, but the syntax, as said before, is so simplified, it's complicated, and difficult to remember.

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#8]
wow, did I just go back 6 years?

Whatever man, just play with the demo of DarkBasic, if you like it then use it, if you don't then use Blitz3D. Simple.

SLotman(Posted 2008) [#9]
A simple comparison I did before becoming a b3d user:

I ran (at the time both used DX7) demos from both. B3D got a nice speed on my computer, while *everything* made on DB was slow as hell.

I don't want to make fun or anything, but even the new stuff from DB - although it does have a lot of features B3D don't have - it's performance is way too slow for what it should be.

So, for me, even still in DX7, B3D wins easy over DBP. If you compare to engines like Ogre or Irrlicht, then it looses, badly (unless you don't need all the extra features those engines pack that B3D don't have - then it's a fair fight, and B3D might even win just because you can make stuff with it very fast!)

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#10]
In order to proceed to a comparison you must consider DB Pro only with DX7.0 capabilities (otherwise you will try to compare different things)
Under this scope of view Blitz 3D is better by far.

Christer(Posted 2008) [#11]
Ok thanks everybody I own Blitz3D and I think it rocks. So now I know that I will stick to it.

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#12]
i used darkbasic pro for many years...i ran into more bugs with every update...the syntax is terrible...the program is very slow...i could never use all the directx 9 capabilities because dbpro is too slow to run the program...it was not my computer or graphics card it was the program itself...look and see how many programs have been made in dbpro that were sold...3d mojong...that's about it...blitz is better, faster and more stable...don't make the same mistake i did and waste
your time trying to get this language to work...when there is a new update you will have to change your program to get it to work again...dbpro stinks!

Barnabius(Posted 2008) [#13]
Combination of PureGDK and PureBASIC is not bad, but for the moment I'd rather stick to Blitz3D or use B3D SDK with the language of my choice, while waiting for the.. khm.. khm.. Mark's new 3D engine which should appear some time in the future.

Barney

steve_ancell(Posted 2008) [#14]
@ Christer.

I have got the following...

BlitzBASIC / Blitz3D.

DarkBASIC Pro.

DarkBASIC Classic.

I tried all 3 of them... I still use Blitz3D. In a nutshell, Blitz3D is easier to use.

Keep it simple and you will enjoy it more.

I think that answers your question.

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#15]
Here we go again...Look, it shouldn't be about the tool, rather the artist\user.

Metal Gear Solid 4 was made in SOFTIMAGE|XSI.
Warcraft 3 was made in 3DS Max.

Which software is better? depends on what forum you post the question =P

EDIT:

Ok thanks everybody I own Blitz3D and I think it rocks. So now I know that I will stick to it.

You shouldn't need people's opinions to know what you should stick to. You could try DarkBasic and like it more than Blitz. You should decide for yourself.

steve_ancell(Posted 2008) [#16]
I'm not actually flaming the DarkBASIC products about their power...

It's more of a fact that Blitz3D is a lot easier to learn, and the documentation seems to make more sense.

[EDIT] Not only that... Blitz seems to have a larger user base.[/EDIT]

JaviCervera(Posted 2008) [#17]
I vote for Blitz also. The DarkBASIC API simply does not seem to make any sense.

@steve_ancell I would say that, due to TGC better marketing, DBPro has a way larger userbase. Come on, the DarkBasic SDK is even sponsored by Microsoft.

steve_ancell(Posted 2008) [#18]
Thank you for clearing-up that bit of info Jedive ;).

Maybe, we should all send suggestions MicroSoft, to inform them what they are missing-out on. :D

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#19]
Come on, the DarkBasic SDK is even sponsored by Microsoft.

This is insignificant and perhaps misleading.
A few months ago I tried to build a DLL (with C/C++) for DB users in order to offer a set of commands for access in Unlimited Drop Pro files. This was impossible because of Dark Basic bugs.
I remind you also that Microsoft bought Caligari. Is there any guy who believes that trueSpace series is good or deserves their price?

JaviCervera(Posted 2008) [#20]
Sorry, but I just don't see how this could be insignificant. This situation is completely different than the one with trueSpace. If you enter the Visual C++ 2008 Express website, this is what you find:

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/Default.aspx

All the features there talk about the DarkBASIC SDK. Imagine the millions of users of VC++ entering the site and seeing that. Sorry, but saying that Microsoft sponsoring of the product is insignificant just doesn't make any sense.

TheGameCreators have a far superior marketing than Blitz Research hands down. Just see how nVidia has sponsored some competitions, they made an agreement with AGEIA to release DarkPHYSICS, etc.

The difference is that BRL is offering a far better product.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#21]
@Jedive: I am not refusing reality. The situation is exactly as you said. But imagine a guy who wants to buy Blitz3D and DB and don't have any experience from both? He will probably buy the DB because because he will see the Microsoft, nVidia and AGEIA behind. He will will not buy the better Blitz3D as we both agree. Is this a insignificant/misleading or not?

JaviCervera(Posted 2008) [#22]
The argument that Microsoft was sponsoring DarkGDK was not used to say that DarkBASIC is better than Blitz3D. I made clear that my vote goes for Blitz3D, and the comment that Microsoft was sponsoring TGC was a response to steve_ancell, who thought that Blitz userbase was bigger.

So, in this context, my comment was not insignificant nor misleading as your first post suggested. The fact that Microsoft is sponsoring TGC is not a valid argument if I was saying that this proves its quality, I agree on that.

CodeOrc(Posted 2008) [#23]
I use both, or let me be more direct, I used to use DBPro but no longer.

For me it came down to this. I was a Senior IT Geek for a GFX company with over 100 computers that I got to baby sit...all totaling about 12 hardware types.

Blitz3D ran on ALL of them with expected results.

DBPro ran on about 25% with usual horrible results at random times.

I even had several veteran C++ coders take a look and they agreed that B3D was the way to go for me.

My test consisted of a VERY basic FPS Shooter.

So for me, I could careless if MS is "in bed" with DB or vise/versa...I prefer something that will run on 90% of everybody's comps...especially us budget gamers :)

Not to mention that the B3D community is far more polite and responsive to those of us needing assistance, or a simple nudge in the right direction.

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#24]
Microsoft was sponsoring DarkGDK

microsoft is only sponsoring darkgdk to promote visual studio...tgc cannot even sell darkgdk because of the amount of bugs in the program...they are just giving it away free...tgc makes no money from the deal and microsoft makes nothing but free advertisement of their own product...i don't know if you have ever used darkgdk but it is not near the product that blitz3d is...it is a little faster than dbpro, only because it uses c++, but it only has half the features...the bugs in the program are everywhere and no matter how hard you try you cannot get around them...

JaviCervera(Posted 2008) [#25]
TGX makes money because the license offered with Visual Studio is for freeware only. Any commercial or shareware applications that wants to be published must use a pay for usage of DarkGDK.

And yes, I have used it, and it is as buggy as DBPro. That's why I was recommending Blitz3D.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#26]
@CodeOrc, thanks for the insight, I am and always will be a strong B3D supporter.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#27]
Yes go with b3d... It is more expensive but it saves time in the long run and is faster as other people have mentioned :)