Game Play

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Game Play

CodeOrc(Posted 2008) [#1]
Ok, this is not really a programming question, but could result in programming behaviors.

Moderator, please move this if it is inappropriately placed.

Can you guys list your top 5 criteria for a good game ?

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#2]
Just off the top of my head...

1) Fun
2) see 1
3) see 1
4) see 1
5) see 1

In other words, no matter how good the graphics are, no matter how many man-hours went into the content, above all else, I want to enjoy the time I spend playing the game. And that's a highly subjective criteria.. One person may like Tetris, one person may not... And I play a variety of games, from Supreme Commander, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, to Donkey Kong and Pac-Man, even Streets of SimCity.

If you were looking for what you should be focusing on with your projects, then concentrate on making a fun game. That's not to say you should not spend any time with everything else, just make it your top priority... The rest will fall into place.

Ace Killjoy(Posted 2008) [#3]
This is a good question.

Not entirely sure these are criteria but I would say:

1) Make it fun. (I agree with ubergeek on this one)
2) Don't make it to compicated or overdone.
3) Good music helps set the mood.
4) Have a good storyline. Have some plot twists and unexpected turns.
5) Don't repeat something that has been done to death.

Getting advice from others is a great idea.

CodeOrc(Posted 2008) [#4]
yes, thats what I am looking for...keep 'em coming folks :)

Sledge(Posted 2008) [#5]
You need to...

1) Empower the player.
2) Signpost everything audio-visually.
3) Offer at least one USP.
4) Include monkeys.
5) Exclude crates.

Matty(Posted 2008) [#6]
Reward the player regularly

josk(Posted 2008) [#7]
Offer them cake.

Kept me playing Portal.

Tobo(Posted 2008) [#8]
Easy to get into.

War and Peace may be a good book, but I'm buggered if I'm gonna read all that to find out!

T

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#9]
Make the game easy to learn hard to master. Add an online highscore table.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#10]
1) fun

That one always applies. You can overlook mediocre graphics, sound, and awkward controls, but a game that looks and sounds beautiful but is boring is still worse than a simple game that's fun.

some other factors greatly depends on the type of game:

A casual game needs to be easy to get into -- if you can play a game in quick 15-30 minute bursts, then people don't generally want to put up with a long learning curve to get started. Quick & easy to learn is a must for a casual game.

If you have a more 'epic' kind of game, the back story becomes more important, and you have the time to slowly introduce complicated gameplay concepts to the player. You don't necesarily need instant gratification for those kind of games, as long as it's engaging and immersive. The longer a game, the more important it is to stay appealing, so you need to capture the mood -- sound, story, graphics, etc. but fun is still #1.

Now, a game doesn't have to look amazing -- something ridiculously simple as minesweeper that comes with windows is still fairly popular. It's good enough, and it's there. :-?
Sometimes that's all you need to put your brain into screensaver mode and use as a quick stress reducer.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#11]
something ridiculously simple as minesweeper that comes with windows is still fairly popular. It's good enough, and it's there.
...and you only play it when you're desperately bored, then go and mow the lawn five minutes later when you get fed up of it.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#12]
Offer them cake.

the cake is a lie!

...and you only play it when you're desperately bored

although i enjoy real games ( for a lack of better terminolagy at the moment ) i love making/playing little 5 min time waster games.

then go and mow the lawn five minutes later when you get fed up of it.

no then i go onto the next 5 min time waster.

WolRon(Posted 2008) [#13]
1) free
2) installs in 5 seconds
3) contains gratuitous display of near-naked chicks
4) deletes from your harddrive completely (in 5 seconds)
5) provides a link to obtain a free baseball cap or t-shirt

Pongo(Posted 2008) [#14]

4) deletes from your harddrive completely (in 5 seconds)

This! Extra crap left over after uninstall is one of my pet peaves. (Well, that and DRM, but that's a whole other can of,... anyways)

Of course the trick is to make your game so awesome that no one will ever want to delete it.

I always try to make games that *I* find fun. That seems so simple, but seriously, if you are not having fun making it, then why would you expect people to have fun playing it. I believe that good graphics are important, but only to a point. You can make a game with awesome graphics that can still suck, but an awesome game with sucky graphics will still be good. Get them both right and it will be awesome!