MD2 .vs B3D for Collisions

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/MD2 .vs B3D for Collisions

CodeOrc(Posted 2008) [#1]
Ok, I am using a .b3d and a .md2 version of my monster and from a previous thread someone mentioned that md2 had better performance. They were 100% correct.

The problem I am having is the I cannot use [code]Collision Bullet,Badguy,2,1[\code] to register a hit.

It makes me use [code]Collision Bullet,Badguy,1,1[\code] instead.

Why is this? Is there a fix for it? I really need to use "method 2" on my MD2 models.

thx :)

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#2]
You can't. The only solution I can think of is to collide with an invisible B3D proxy or similar. You may have problems syncing up animations tho.

Wait a minute.. you can't collide with the animated b3d mesh anyway. What exactly are you trying to do? You would have to collide with animated bounding boxes/spheres.

CodeOrc(Posted 2008) [#3]
I have a radius of 1 for both model types. I am shooting at them, and the B3D using method 2 lets me shoot ANY part of the badguy and it registers a hit.

The Md2 will not register a hit unless I use the method 1 and it only registers if I hit the previously set radius.

So it appears as if the MD2 will only use the radius, and B3D will let me actually check if I hit the bad guy in the head or fingers. B3D offers a great deal more realism in a fire fight....but the performance is 1/2 of the MD2's.

So I was hoping for a MD2 solution that would let me shoot the badguy ANYWHERE I want...not just the radius.

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#4]
You can only hit his fingers or arm at the un-animated mesh position. Check it.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#5]
You can use line pick

GIB3D(Posted 2008) [#6]
Ooh ooh ooh, can't you just place a bunch of pivots with collisions as hitboxes?

CodeOrc(Posted 2008) [#7]
I decided to assign collisions to MD2's via
collisions type_player,type_badguy,3,1
where the Const have been already set.

Now, I am trying to get the grip on the
 EntityBox ,x,x,x,x,x,x
command.

Can someone explain how this works? Meaning, does the first 3 "x,x,x" need to be "0,0,0" or what ?

thx

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#8]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/b3ddocs/command.php?name=EntityBox

CodeOrc(Posted 2008) [#9]
thank you much Gabriel, that gave me the exact info I needed and things are working great.

THX!