New and need help

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/New and need help

Nike(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi im really new to blitz and I got blitz3D. I was woundering if anyone would like to make a huge 3rd person shooter game?
Im not that good at blitz so i think it would really help me. Im good with drawing pic's in paint and i can make text based rpg's so any help would be alsome. Please post if you even see this so i know that the blitz forums are still alive. Thanks

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#2]
Big goal for a newcomer. You can't jump from a text based game to a "huge 3rd person shooter". I see you ask for a programmer help but this way all the codes will be done by the second programmer and you will get bored.

Nike(Posted 2008) [#3]
I know it's big but i would really enjoy learning how to do it. Here is a code i found for a shooter game (I did not make it!)

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#4]
I was woundering if anyone would like to make a huge 3rd person shooter game?

hello nike,

to place your code in a code box just click on "forum codes" at the top of the post reply to topic box...this will keep your post from taking up three pages...

the code you have is for a first person shooter....i think you should start by learning the basics of programming first...if people start a project with you, i'm sure they will want you to know some programming...there are not very many pictures drawn in a fps game...you will need some 3d modeling skills and texture making skills...a huge project can take years to complete and requires a lot of work...try starting smaller...the code you have is for a net game...this will be very confusing to a beginner and slow down the learning process...this is all just my opinion and some friendly advice...i hope it helps you in the long road you are now walking down...

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#5]
reminds me of when blitz3D arrived EVERYONE wanted to be the next halo/doom beater yet had no coding skills whatsoever

edit:
aye *caugh*codebox*caugh*
seeing as you said there are 3 or so pieces of code up there it all blurs into one ... and it would have kept any tabbed formatting etc

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#6]
Yeah, trust me, start small and finish something. It will end up the other people doing the code, you learning nothing, everyone getting fed up as they are the only ones doing anything, you losing people and the project goes pair shaped :o)

Nike(Posted 2008) [#7]
Sorry about that...

What should i do for a small project now? i can only think of a shooter game. Text based rpg's are really getting boring now and i was aiming for a instent messenger but it didnt work. Any help would be alsome. thanks

Nike(Posted 2008) [#8]
fixed it

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#9]
Maybe space invaders? Mine sweeper? pacman? Tetris?

Kryzon(Posted 2008) [#10]
You know, read this article:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article892.asp

It fit's your situation like a glove.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#11]
i have a shooter that i'm working on. we could team up and you could learn and i could have reason to finish it.

Nike(Posted 2008) [#12]
ok that will be fun! maybe we can make it multiplayer to. So um when will we be working on it? send me the code when your ready to start.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#13]
i'll e-mail you if you give an address and we'll will get working. don't know about multiplayer yet but we'll see.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#14]
hey man you still interested?? you have no email listed and your site doesn't work.

Nike(Posted 2008) [#15]
wow sorry about that. really bussy latley and i know about the site i still need to add a homepage... Nvu works but im still thinking.

Nike(Posted 2008) [#16]
Ok ill do website in a few minutes.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#17]
all i need is an email addy.

Nike(Posted 2008) [#18]
do you know html?

Nike(Posted 2008) [#19]
if you do then do you think you can post the code on the fourm and maybe we can work on these fourms instead of with e-mail.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#20]
this was sorta a personal project that i was gona team up with you on, and the code is long. but here it is any way. link to media and .bb,.exe here: http://www.mediafire.com/?pnl1zl9tfxg

Nike(Posted 2008) [#21]
Hmm i get a memory access violation error

Nike(Posted 2008) [#22]

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#23]
i boxed the code.
where is the mav at? what are yo using for source? the posted code or the download?

Nike(Posted 2008) [#24]
i dont know what you mean by mav but for source i used both and got error.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#25]
Memory Access Violation=mav. odd that there is a mav cause there is no mav here

Nike(Posted 2008) [#26]
hmm im still confuised...

Sir Gak(Posted 2008) [#27]
Memory Access Violation (MAV) usually means you are trying to use a graphics that isn't, in fact, loaded into memory, so when you go to try to use it, it bombs out.

For instance:

cursor=LoadImage("C:\my_blitz_image_stuff\cursor_arrow.bmp")

might bomb if there is, in fact, no image there because you actually have it stored in a different directory, or maybe the image's file name is slightly different, ie. cursorarrow.bmp instead of cursor_arrow.bmp

Best way to find out, is to check the variable you are loading the graphic into. In my above example, check to see if the variable "cursor" had a non-zero value. If contains 0, then the load did not succeed, and you will get a MAV.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#28]
could you please run the code in debug mode and tell me were it errors out. i would appreciate it much.

Nike(Posted 2008) [#29]
Drawimage backdrop 0,0

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#30]
ok comment that out, that image has a propensity to fry its self so i will send you a new one.

Nike(Posted 2008) [#31]
I need help making a game like your a space ship at the bottom of the screen that can move only right and left and from the sky is falling boulders. they can only fall stright down. Then you can fir bullet's by pressing space. and if a boulder hits you, you lose 1 of your 3 lives. can anyone help me?

Nike(Posted 2008) [#32]
I need help making a game like your a space ship at the bottom of the screen that can move only right and left and from the sky is falling boulders. they can only fall stright down. Then you can fir bullet's by pressing space. and if a boulder hits you, you lose 1 of your 3 lives. can anyone help me?

Click here for an alsome web