First Attempt

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/First Attempt

RogueM(Posted 2008) [#1]
Thus far I've been only modifying games made by others for practice, but now i would like to try my hand at making my own from the ground up. I'm wondering what sort of game would be a good first attempt. Any suggestions?

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
Pong.

Terry B.(Posted 2008) [#3]
Pong is good yes, and after you do that, try a one on one space shooter, then go for like astroids or somthing, then go for galaga, then do whatever you want :P

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#4]
I have never coded pong, galaga, asteroids or some old atari game yet I am making commercial games for my clients. IMO in Blitz3D you don't need to code a classic "starting game programming" game.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#5]
I agree with Mortiis, it seems like the universal response to 'Suggestions for a first game' is Pong etc... I do agree that you should re-make an old game as you don't want to get bogged down with having to design the game before you write it.

The most important thing IMO is to pick a game that you will have fun playing so that coding and testing it is not a chore. Make sure it has a simple gamplay mechanic and doesn't require alot of media otherwise it could take months to complete.

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#6]
@RogueM

if you plan to make 2D games then start with pong...if it's 3D games you like then start with a first person shooter (FPS)...a lot of beginners are pushed into learning to program pong and have no interest in 2D games....find all the tutorials you can and learn all the basics...study other peoples code and learn why and how the code works...start small, like just moving around the world with collision set up....hope this helps...

RogueM(Posted 2008) [#7]
Cool, i decided to make a 3D version of pong

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#8]
Smart move.

I started with coding an FPS when I first got Blitz3D - about 6 or 7 years ago.

One day I may even get it finished...