No 3D graphics mode

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/No 3D graphics mode

Dicon(Posted 2008) [#1]
Having loaded 3dblitz and updated, I run a sample ( or samples ) and I get the message "No 3D mode detected"
I can run Blender and 3D Studio OK, not Blitz3D.
Any suggestions?
Dicon
Thanks

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
Don't both Blender and 3D [World] Studio use OpenGL? Or did you mean 3D Studio Max (which might also be using OpenGL).

Almost certainly a DirectX problem.

Assuming you have at least DX7 installed, click on Start>Run and type 'dxdiag', and try out the Direct3D tests.

Dicon(Posted 2008) [#3]
I had a look using the above code. And the direct draw stuff worked ok. It appears there is no 3d driver, which is odd, because ( like I said ) Blender and 3d Studio work fine.
What I got after an upgrade at Maplins is this.
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Unknow
System Model: Unknow
BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 312MB used, 4644MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: The system is using the generic video driver. Please install video driver provided by the hardware manufacturer. Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer.
Sound Tab 1: No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.
...............................................................................................
There was more but I thought that was enough, I will have to take it back and have them install the drivers as I cannot find the manufacturers names or enough info to re-install the drives.

So, will try to find a way to do this. My Blitz3D does work fine on my other Vista desktoip backup, although it is s..l..o..w.
Thanks for the help

Dicon

GfK(Posted 2008) [#4]
Most apps such as 3D Studio Max etc can use software rendering where no hardware is available to do it, which might go some way to explaining why they work.

Do you know what make/model of motherboard you have? You have a manual for it lying around somewhere or something? With that info it would be dead easy to locate the right drivers.

Andy(Posted 2008) [#5]
xlsior posted this in another post...

>You can run the freeware utility CPU-Z which will tell you the motherboard
>manufacturer and model number.
>
>you can download it here: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Dicon(Posted 2008) [#6]
Thanks all, I phoned up the guy at Maplins that re-jigged my old rig and he gave me the information needed.
I am exporting from 3D studio into Blitz. And it works... Yay!
Thanks

Dicon