Scaled window mode

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Scaled window mode

Farflame(Posted 2008) [#1]
My program is running in scaled window mode, but when it starts it's very small and hard to make out much detail. I need it to run in this mode, but would prefer if it started out maxed or at least a bit bigger. Is there a way I can set it manually when the program begins?

Sledge(Posted 2008) [#2]
I just do this trick:
Graphics3D 800,600,0,2
Graphics3D 800,600,0,3

While Not KeyHit(1)
	Text 10,10,"Scalable & big!"
	Flip
	Cls
Wend

Farflame(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks, don't know why that works but it does :)

QuickSilva(Posted 2008) [#4]
How strange. I never knew that. How did you find that one out Sledge?

Jason.

Sledge(Posted 2008) [#5]
It's so long ago that I don't remember. I'd like to think I made an educated guess but it's far more likely that I had a couple of graphics initialisation lines (in order to quickly swap between a couple of different options) and accidentally left two uncommented rather than just the desired one.

loofadawg(Posted 2016) [#6]
I am late to the party but...

That is awesome !!
Great find.

Hardcoal(Posted 2016) [#7]
Im joining the party..

Dan(Posted 2016) [#8]
And this makes an 320x200 game resolution scaled up to a 640x480 window:
Graphics 640,480,32,2
Graphics 320,200,32,3

Text 100,100,"Hi"

WaitKey()

Here is a function which does this for you:

3 functions Timer_Sec Timer_mSec and Screen

You need to add the userlib declarations for it to work.

loofadawg(Posted 2016) [#9]

That is awesome !!
Great find.

How do you find the resolution of the desktop ? I want to scale the the Blitz window to mostly fill the desktop but not completely so the user can still easily access the task bar etc..

Bobysait(Posted 2016) [#10]
in a windows library (one of the windows dll, probably user32 or kernel32 ...), it's named GetSystemMetrics as far as I remember with constant argument like cxscreen and cyscreen (you 'll find the prototype of the function and the constant values for sm_cxscreen etc on the msdn website, or, it's probably somewhere on the code archive of the forum).

loofadawg(Posted 2016) [#11]

That is awesome !!
Great find.

How do you find the resolution of the desktop ? I want to scale the the Blitz window to mostly fill the desktop but not completely so the user can still easily access the task bar etc..

Nevermind.. I found this:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=104713#1270693

drfloyd(Posted 2016) [#12]
this is incredible !

But is there another tips to do the same thing on full screen mode ?

I would like to do a retro game in 320 x 200 full screen, but as you know modern screens do no accept this resolution.

Dan(Posted 2016) [#13]

I would like to do a retro game in 320 x 200 full screen, but as you know modern screens do no accept this resolution.

-> Sprites2Go - C64 Sprite - BB3d (bb+?!)

See my 3rd post in there, the Demogame is using 320x240 resolution to draw on Fullscreen (desktop resolution) when pressing F6.

EDIT:
The Function which is doing this is: DrawSizeImage. The Demo is Rendering the Game on a 320x240 image buffer, and the function is Resizing it to the BackBuffer.

The function is from here.

drfloyd(Posted 2016) [#14]
ok, i will try to undestand your method. Thanks

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#15]
Note that if you use a textured "screen mesh" (=rectangle mesh which occupies the whole camera view space) to scale up/down your image/texture, it will automatically have less details than the camera view space (because some texels will occupy more/less screen space than a 1w1h pixel so there will be less/more texels on the texture than pixels on the camera view space)

The idea is to create your image/render (on a buffer), then to copy the result on a texture of the same width,height than your image (which is applied on a "screen mesh" which occupies the whole screen and will automatically adjust the texel size depending on the camera view space (width/height))

An example of that : http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=3256