Moving away from a wall makes it invisible

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Moving away from a wall makes it invisible

UnderwoodNullium(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hey, when I load a mesh into Blitz and then try to navigate around and within it, parts of it disappear as I move away from it. Here is an image of my problem. The images from left to right show me gradually 'walking' backwards in real time. Look at the stuff disappear:

Why does this happen? How can I fix it?

Thanks for all your help guys.

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#2]
CameraRange will help, but it really looks like your level is way too big.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#3]
Yeah, i suggest you scale down the level as beaker says. The default camera range is 1000 units forward basically, so your level looks to be a bit bigger then 1000.

I suggest using a scale of 1 metre to one blitz unit. So, probably talking about scaling that room by about 0.01-0.02. :o) That would make your room roughly 10 meters across diagonally.

UnderwoodNullium(Posted 2008) [#4]
Hey, thanks guys. I scaled it by 0.1 and not only was my problem eliminated but the whole program runs much faster and less choppily. So I guess that means my level was too large, like both of you said. But now I'm wondering, what if my level was 10 times longer, then in the distance I would still be able to see the walls getting constructed as I move closer to them. If I don't want this to happen, what do I do? Will changing the camera range help?

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#5]
Yes.

CameraRange cam, .1, 9999

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#6]
Well, again, you have to ask yourself what scale your working on? If your working on 0.1 to 1000 camera range, and taking 1 unit per meter, that gives you a 1 km view distance :o)

Going on what you scaled your level too, Mortiis's camerarange would also give you a 1 km view range.

UnderwoodNullium(Posted 2008) [#7]
Thanks a lot for your help guys!

GfK(Posted 2008) [#8]
CameraRange cam, .1, 9999
That and the hardware fill rate will cause havoc on some systems.