How come my mesh isn't loading with textures?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/How come my mesh isn't loading with textures?

UnderwoodNullium(Posted 2008) [#1]
I made a level with 3D World Studio and exported it to a B3D file (I also tried exporting to .x). When I try to load up this file in Blitz using LoadMesh or LoadAnimMesh, in both cases it displays the level WITHOUT textures. The light mapping and everything seems to work fine, but I want textures! Why isn't it working?

Also note that I'm using the Blitz3D SDK for BlitzMax. Oh and one more thing, when I export using 3D World Studio it doesn't create ONE file. It creates several files. They look like they contain textures and light mapping data. I've kept all the files in the same folder. Weird, shouldn't it just be one file? Perhaps it's an export problem. ANYWAY, I really hope you guys can help!

Thanks!

EDIT: After snooping around the Leadwerks forums I found out that the textures I was using were in a format that is unique to Leadwerks, had I been using .jpg or .bmp then the b3d file would have loaded into Blitz3D properly with textures.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#2]
I would suggest you to use DDS files.

UnderwoodNullium(Posted 2008) [#3]
DDS? I'm new to 3D so I don't know what that is, but 3D World Studio doesn't export to that format, so I'll try my luck with B3D for now, thanks for the suggestion though, maybe with a different 'world' maker I'll try that.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#4]
DDS is not a model format, it is a texture format. It's compressed and dds loads directly to your graphics card memory which makes it more efficient, faster.

Just export your textures in dds format and put them under 3D World Stuido\Materials folder.

UnderwoodNullium(Posted 2008) [#5]
Oh, awesome! I'll do that, thanks man.

UnderwoodNullium(Posted 2008) [#6]
Okay, I tried DDS but Blitz3D won't load it. I tried Bitmap and it worked. I guess I'll go with jpeg or png or something for my textures. And there's another problem now. For some reason, as I move far from a wall or something, parts of it become black, and then when I'm far enough, the whole thing is black. As I move closer it starts getting filled up again and then finally when I'm close enough it's back to normal. What's up with that? How do I fix it? EDIT: Re-posting as a new topic...

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#7]
What is your Blitz3D version? DDS support added lately, in v1.98 I think.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#8]
make sure the texture files are in the same folder as your mesh.