Maya Converting

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Maya Converting

Ace Killjoy(Posted 2008) [#1]
Yet another question:
What would you say is the best way to convert Maya (I use Maya 8.5) files to a Blitz3D compatable format

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#2]
ultimate unwrap 3d is best, but for static meshes use maya to export .obj then use milkshape or deled(needs plugin) to go to b3d.
another untried way (atleast by me) is to download the ogre .mesh exporter and use irredit to go to b3d.

p.s. this aught to have been posted in the content creation section.

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#3]
I just had a look on the iiedit tool and you can import b3d, but not export. Unless theres some third party plugin for it?

IcyDefiance(Posted 2008) [#4]
I'd recommend Blender instead of Maya. It has a bit of a learning curve, because of a strange UI, but once you get used to it, you'll wish everything was made like that. I know I do. It is almost as good as Maya, but it's a bit of a power hog, and shouldn't be used on weak computers. And it's free!

Best of all, it can export into a ton of formats: 3D Studio, AC3D, COLLADA, FBX Export, DXF, Wavefront OBJ, DEC Object File Format, DirectX, Lightwave, MD2, Motion Capture, Nendo, OpenFlight, PLY, Pro Engineer, Radiosity, Raw Triangle, Softimage, STL, TrueSpace, VideoScape, VRML, VRML97, X3D Extensible 3D, xfig export.

I think it can also import most, if not all of these, but I haven't gone through and checked.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#5]
but maya's ui is one of the best i've seen and is so much better to use than blender. plus i think maya is much more powerful and because of the better ui it is quicker to get awesome results. i use 8.5 also and uu3d is the best.

@boomboom i wasn't sure if you could export b3ds but since it imported i thought maby it could export b3d.

Ace Killjoy(Posted 2008) [#6]
I could never figure out how to use Blender.

IcyDefiance(Posted 2008) [#7]
I could never figure out how to use Blender.

Me neither, until I used some tutorials. Try the manual or some web page and video tutorials. You have plenty to choose from.