Md2 Model format

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Md2 Model format

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#1]
I created this post in Content creations, but I would like to also address it here since I dont know if its a modeling problem or if its a blitz3d situation.

Can you guys check it out and see if there is something someone would like to share about creating or loading md2 models?

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=78778

Thanks!

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#2]
Use B3d, its much better and more native.

(Blender can export great animated b3ds with use of someone-round-here's plugin, i think it can export md2 too.)
http://www.blender.org <--Bit of an initial learning curve to this though (watch the videos in trutorials!)

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks D4NM4N, I appreciate the help. The thing is B3D's really use alot of resources, I was pretty shocked at how much they do use. So far I've tested out my 5 machines with all different kinds of models or shapes and came to the following conclusion...

animated B3d model -> upto 15 models before the fps gets too low
animated segmented 3ds -> upto 35 models before the fps gets too low
animated md2 models -> upto 200 models before the fps gets too low
animated sprites -> upto 2100 before the fps gets too low

The project I'm currently working on will have a max of 16 player models on screen at once, so naturally I'm shying away from the b3d format as much as I do like it.

Thanks again.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#4]
Yeah, md2 is great for speed. However, i'd use .b3d animated for the main character if possible, as if he is seen in most detail, so any of the limitations of the md2 format may show up and not look great.

I was looking for an application to convert a boned and animated mesh into a md2 file, but haven't found anything really :o( I mind working with someone using lightwave, and he managed it.

ardee(Posted 2008) [#5]
I was looking for an application to convert a boned and animated mesh into a md2 file, but haven't found anything really :o( I mind working with someone using lightwave, and he managed it.

I do everything as a boned and animated mesh, export as .b3d and then use Fragmotion to convert to .md2 or any other format you fancy, works perfectly.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#6]
Really? Need to give that a shot again then, thanks.

ardee(Posted 2008) [#7]
File-->Export-->.md2 then remember to select "Skeletal" as animation source (if you're coming from a boned .b3d file) and you're good to go.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#8]
ardee, what program are you using to create your model? I've tried Milkshape, Max and blender. I tried exporting to b3d (Which tested perfectly in blitz3d), then using fragmotion to convert to md2, but I still get horrible flickering of the faces.

Thanks for any insights

ardee(Posted 2008) [#9]
@xyle

I use Blender. I dont know if there is a problem with Blitz in it's handling of .md2 or whether its a problem inheritant to the format but you will get flickering if you use lights on the model (I think it's a combination of limits of the format and Blitz's lights).

I don't use lights, I use full bright and no lighting with all the detail and ambient occlusion baked into the textures.

You can minimise the flickering to almost nothing by changing the light type. I can't remember which one works best but I think it might be point (type 2). But for best results dont light it at all.

Remember the md2 format is for very low poly models best viewed at a distance anyway. The format doesn't have the same precision as other formats so you get the flickering caused by a face switching from shadow to non shadow at certain locations particularly where the angle between faces is particularly accute. If you want the best model you'll need to tweak the faces that are giving the most trouble (add faces etc to round the angles a bit).

If you look at the Gargoyle sample you'll see the shadow switch flicker on the head as it's quite a sharp angle. Use that model to see what light type is best, but my advice, full bright.

HTH