How many polygons?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/How many polygons?

Farflame(Posted 2008) [#1]
Just wondering if people know from experience, how many polygons is considered low and how many is considered high (roughly). Just that I'm using some low-polygon spaceships for my test game (I think they're about 300 to 500 each) and if quite a few appear on screen at once (say 50 or so) I'm noticing some jerkiness - and I have quite a powerful PC.

Is 300 a lot and if so, does anyone know where I can get hold of some really basic ones just for playing around with?

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#2]
It's really the number of surfaces that will hurt your games fps. Reducing the number of polygons on each ship probably won't make any difference. Also, the collisions, if your doing collisions on 50 ships too.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#3]
Are you using instances of the ship, i.e. copyentity? If not, make sure you do.

Farflame(Posted 2008) [#4]
Yes I am. It's nothing major at the moment, but I'm seeing fps problems already and there's not much happening at the moment. I'll try to find some alternative ship meshes and see if that's the problem because the ones I'm using at the moment are quite detailed.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#5]
50 * 300 only equals 6000 polygons, so it's not a polgon problem. If you using copyentity, i doubt it's a surface problem either, which i assume you are.

How big is the textures you are using? Check the available Video Ram. Your slowdown might be caused by too much video memory being used and the computer having to swap between the video memory and main memory.

It may be to do with collisions. Are you setting up different entity types for each ship? Are you using any physics libs?

Last but not least, any chance you can upload it with source, so we can check?

KillerX(Posted 2008) [#6]
Are you using 2d commands as well. i.e. text, drawimage, etc.

also

50 * 300 only equals 6000 polygons

50 * 300 = 15 000 polygons

Farflame(Posted 2008) [#7]
Ahh it's ok, I've found the problem. I was using sprites as exhaust trails on the ships, 50 sprites per trail. Removed them and it's fine now. I guess 50 * 50 = 2500 sprites is too much :)

Any ideas on how to do a nice looking exhaust without using too many sprites?

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#8]
Use a single surface system. There may be something in the code archives.

Stevie

Matty(Posted 2008) [#9]
ParticleCandy is great for particle effects.

Farflame(Posted 2008) [#10]
Thanks, have ordered ParticleCandy and am having fun playing around with it. Are there any topics anywhere for this program with pre-made particle types?

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#11]
Yeah... ehem... we'll pretend we didn't see that calculation :o)