MD2 Lighting Problem

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/MD2 Lighting Problem

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#1]
Has anyone found any more info on the MD2 texture and lighting situation? I have read a few posts from years ago stating that using MD2 models can cause issues with the way the light works with the model. I seem to be encountering this with my model. It seems like the light causes shadow flickering across the texture, somewhat of a shiny effect.

Due to major slowdowns from using b3d files, I wanted to look at using md2's. Fragmotion has an execellant md2 exporter. But if I cant fix the light issue, theres no way I can use this format.

Thanks for any insights.

BIG BUG(Posted 2008) [#2]
While other formats support full space (32bit float for each axis) for lighting normals, it's limited in MD2 for the sake of file size.
There are 255 predefined normals, each vertex uses the closest one.
This results in a kind of stepped shading, which occurs especially while animating or at disconnected polygons.
But it's bearable in most cases, so maybe you're facing another problem.

A screenshot might help analysing your problem.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks for the reply, heres a video...
http://www.twelvetoes.bravehost.com/Videos/IndianOutlaw_Md2.avi

BIG BUG(Posted 2008) [#4]
Sorry, can't play that video with any of my installed video codecs.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#5]
Ok, I used different software to recored the avi, same link, different file...

http://www.twelvetoes.bravehost.com/Videos/IndianOutlaw_Md2.avi

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#6]
I don't have the right codecs here either :o(

BIG BUG(Posted 2008) [#7]
Hmm, looks like the normals in the face area are messed up somehow. Seems to be a problem with the model itself or the exporter.
You should check that in fragmotion.

This blinky shading of the upper legs might happen due to limited normals, I'm not sure here.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#8]
Thanks for checking it out, I really do appreciate the help. I will look into my model further. It does have around 1200 triangles. Ill lower the polygon count. According to your normals statement, the less polys there are, the better it should be because of the nearest normal.

I will toy around with this somemore. Thank you very much.