Ideas needed for tutorials

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Ideas needed for tutorials

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi all,

my series of beginners tutorials on youtube has been proving quite popular: http://www.youtube.com/amcadam26

but now I'm looking for ideas for other thing to cover, what things do beginners struggle with most? I've covered simple collision detection, making multilayered starfields, simple particle effects and some other stuff. But aside from the built in blitz commands, what techniques do you see being used in games that you want to copy?

I'm thinking of recording a short series on writing a platform game with a simple level editor, would this be good? Or should I do something else?

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#2]
you should do a full, start to finish, game

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#3]
I've already uploaded a ten part series covering a simple space invaders style game. I will be uploading a development vlog of my action RPG project as I work on it and have things to show off.

I just wish youtube would have higher resolution video as standard, it's a real pain having to record everything at really low res and make all the demonstration programs big and simple looking just so they look okay on youtube.

I do zoom in on the blitz IDE and have changed the color scheme to make it clearer though.

mikeful(Posted 2008) [#4]
Tutorial about creating simple tilemap system would be nice.

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#5]
Simple a* should be popular...for me if at least :)

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#6]
hehe, obviously I'd have learn how to do A* myself first. Tilemapping is good though, that's something I need to master anyway for my RPG game.

Al Meyer(Posted 2008) [#7]
Lots os camera tricks :)

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#8]
a simple Server/Client Chat program?

Heres one I entered into the Code Archives...
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=2261

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#9]
i like xyles's idea, i've been wondering how to do one of those.

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#10]
I like the idea of the server/client chat program. I'll comment my code though ;-P

I want to try to make each tutorial relevant to how it would fit into a game setting. So the chat program would need some game element attached.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#11]
Hi andy_mc
I sent you an e-mail. I am posting here because I didn't get a response from you (even a negative response) and just want to be sure that you've read my proposal

Thanks

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#12]
when did you email me? I don't remember seeing anything?

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#13]
I sent it on 30 May in your signature e-mail.I can send it again in another e-mail if you want to

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#14]
ok, thanks.

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#15]
I think a tutorial on making a level editor is a great idea, i think the loading/writing text files part of blitz3d is quite badly documented.

Plus ive not sean any tutorials on how to make a good frontend for a game, Control pad setting, menus load save dialog etc.

Pete

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#16]
A level editor tutorial is probably what I'll do next, it'll be a work in progress type project as I'm startign work on an overhead futuristic RPG game shortly, as soon as I finish my puzzle game.

I sat up late last night and wrote a three page storyline for the game.

the level editor will need several layers, teleport points, linked objects (buttons for doors), NPC's, collision mappings, some particle effects, and probably some other stuff. Don't know if the game will have pathfinding yet, probably not, but possibly simple scripting for NPC's and cut scenes, all this will be done from the level editor.

It's possible the game may be written in C++, but the editor will be entirely done in Blitz3D.