The backup files

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/The backup files

Tobo(Posted 2008) [#1]
Wotcha, folks.

Is there any way to disable the backup files that B3D automatically creates?

And, if so, is there any real danger in doing so? I have bak1 and bak2 that its created and it just makes the directory look cluttered.

Advice for a Blitz beginner?

Many thanks.

Tobo

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
There's a config file somewhere in the Blitz3D folder - don't have it installed so can't check the exact location/name. In there, is a parameter to set the number of backups - set it to 0.

[edit] http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=72272

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#3]
id keep it tbh. saved my skin on a number of times.

Snarkbait(Posted 2008) [#4]
I just found my old IDE Manager program, you can use it to change the # of backups as well as IDE colors, fonts etc.

http://snarkbait66.googlepages.com/IDEManInstall-1.exe

WERDNA(Posted 2008) [#5]
Lol,
So thats what the Bak files are for.
I had no idea what they did.
Now that I know, they will certainly be very helpful indeed.

How do I activate them?
Because I recently deleted an ENTIRE one of my games by accident,
and it might be nice to get it back.

The Forgetful WERDNA(Who recently lost his favoriote socks!)
(If you find them, I'll give you 100$)

puki(Posted 2008) [#6]
A bak file is a renamed bb file - in terms of the extension.

Cp(Posted 2008) [#7]
WERDNA:Find the .bb_bak file, and open it up in blitz3d. It should have all the code of your game.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#8]
WERDNA:Find the .bb_bak file, and open it up in blitz3d. It should have all the code of your game.

And if you don't have a bak file either, you may still be able to undelete the file(s)/folder(s) that you erased, provided that the cluster on your harddrive they were sitting on haven't been re-allocted to other programs yet:

One good undelete program that can be downloaded for free is PC Inspector's File Recovery: http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recovery/download.htm?language=1

(They also have a program named Smart Recovery which is similar, but can undelete pictures deleted from digital cameras and the likes)

GfK(Posted 2008) [#9]
The bak files are pretty useless.

The IDE auto-saves each time you run your code. So if you compile your code 5 times, then want to go back to where you were before those 5 compiles, you've had it. You only have the two most recent backups which might not be massively different.

Way around that would be to have it make a hundred backups.... but that'd be silly.

You're much better off disabling the backups completely, and using something like subversion. That way you can only commit a version when you're happy with it, or roll back to any previous version, any time.

Download TortoiseSVN

WERDNA(Posted 2008) [#10]
Ok, thanks for the help everyone.

Its not that important anyways, I found a fairly recent version
of my game that I had backed up on a CD.

The Joyful WERDNA(Who has found His SOCKS!)

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#11]
Sorry to resurect this thread but I can't for the life of me turn backups back on!!!

I edit and save the (read-write) prefs file with a non-zero number for the "edit_backup". I re-load blitz, open a program, run it a couple of times and check for a bb_bak file but nothing is there. On checking the prefs file it has changed the "edit_backup" field to 0 again?!

big10p(Posted 2008) [#12]
Odd. Did you by any chance edit the prefs file whilst Blitz3D was still running? It may re-write the file every time you quit, or something, from settings held in memory?!

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#13]
Nah, tried that - same outcome. WTF?!

GIB3D(Posted 2008) [#14]
The only way that I saw for it to create them is by saving the code. Running it didn't make the backup file.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#15]
Yip - that worked. Eehore signing out!!

big10p(Posted 2008) [#16]
But that doesn't explain why the prefs file was reset.