how many open ports/streams is too many?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/how many open ports/streams is too many?

Lykaestria(Posted 2008) [#1]
I'm trying to create my own 3D chatroom and I think it would be both less complex to program and reduce lag if I used 3 seperate ports/streams - one for sending movement, one for text, and one for file transfer...

Is it improper to use more than 1 port/stream per application or is this commonly done?

DheDarkhCustard(Posted 2008) [#2]
i think everyone's stumped on that one. lol. noone's said anything. i'd say just go with the 3 seperate ports and then see which works better? Don't think there would be a limit. Limewire uses so many it's stupid. or am I thinking of something different.

hmmm

mikeful(Posted 2008) [#3]
You have to build some kind of message handling system anyway so it doesn't matter if the messages come and go through one port. Also one port may be simpler to use.

Lykaestria(Posted 2008) [#4]
I tried using two seperate TCP/IP ports at once but this didn't seem to work, as opening a second one seems to switch off the first, in spite of them being different port numbers.

I have yet to try using TCP/IP and UDP at once though, and am hoping this will yield better results... using UDP for just transmitting movements, and TCP/IP for the chat and other data.