RottNet Example?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/RottNet Example?

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hello,
I made an MP game using TCP and everything works perfectly except lotsa lag in player movements. I wanted to try to change out the tcp code for UDP to see if there were any speed increases. I wanted to try out RottNet because its a complete package, or looks that way anyways.

I was wondering if anyone has a short or quick example of a program using the Rottnet library and hopefully all the commands in it. The example that comes with RottNet is blitz+ so I cant read it.

Thanks for any help.

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#2]
How about THIS ONE?

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#3]
Really nice example, but Gnet is pretty limited, 8 functions and you have to use a 3rd party host. Not really what Im looking for. Im looking to check out Rottnet and was trying to save some time by seeing if anyone had an example of a b3d Rottnot example. Thanks for the help though.

Worse case, Ill look into instituting each function, just to see what it does exactly.

Thanks.

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#4]
Sorry, my bad. You've just made me aware that for some reason I've been living under the misapprehension that he-who-coded-FPSNet (the example I linked to) was the same person who coded RottNet. This (obvious to everyone but me) is not the case.

In an attempt to actually answer your question though, I attempted a thorough search of the site. Didn't come up with much, but I did find a post where Ross C explained how he'd had some difficulties with RottNet, had emailed the author, and he'd provided some examples that helped Ross out immensely.

Perhaps you could try your luck? rob@...

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#5]
Thank you for your help. I did email rob just to see if he had any more documentation or b3d examples. Im sure Im the 1000th emailer of such a thing, hehehe.

Thanks.

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#6]
If it's okay (by him.. and you, I suppose), feel free to share whatever you score, so we don't have to make it #1001. :o)

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#7]
Sorry for the delayed post, Rob emailed me back and mentioned the Crud Example that comes with the download. They are .B+ files and I had no idea that .B+ files could be opened and ran with the Blitz standard IDE. I resaved the files as .bb. These files gave me the example I needed to get a good running start with Rottnet. Rob also said if I had any problems he would be more than happy to help out. I must say, at this point I am very happy with Rottnet, it gives me in 2 days what I was struggling with for weeks.

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#8]
I was going to mention that B+ files are usually almost exactly the same as B3D ones, but I guess I assumed you'd already tried it. Assumptions - pffft~!

Anyways, it's good news that it's working out for you as well as you'd hoped. :o)