Game dosent work!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Game dosent work!

Jouni(Posted 2008) [#1]
Why Blitz3d game not work new computers?

Some has Windows vista, and some Windows xp. Machines are new generation. I have Windows xp.

How i can be sure, that my Blitz games work all windows version? Is there eny thing what i can do?

blackbag(Posted 2008) [#2]
Can you be a bit more specific about what doesn't work? I do remeber reading somthing about problems with vista64?

Jouni(Posted 2008) [#3]
Stand alone game not start at all, or it start, but grafix not work, sound is ok.

blackbag(Posted 2008) [#4]
Any errors? Have you had a look at the thread on the programming forum?

Jouni(Posted 2008) [#5]
Error: Unable to set graphics mode

6(Posted 2008) [#6]
Sounds like you haven't taken into account some peoples screen resolutions. I.e. if you hardcode your game for 1600 * 1200 resolution but you try to run it on a laptop, then this won't work as most laptop screens don't go this high.

Jouni(Posted 2008) [#7]
Ok! But it not work also lower screen resolutions.

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#8]
we will need to see some code to say what's happening here as that error can appear for many reasons.

PowerPC603(Posted 2008) [#9]
I've seen this error too when I tried something written on my pc (resolution: 1280x1024), while the laptop's max resolution was 1440x900.

I suggest that you first make a loader-screen, some sort of window (like most examples that come with Blitz3D) where the user can select a compatible resolution for the user's graphics card.
When the user selects a valid resolution, save that setting to harddisk (as a textfile or binary file, you may choose) and have your graphics re-initialized with the settings in that written file before starting the real game.

Some professionally written games (AAA) do the same (X3:Reunion from Egosoft for example).

The first thing you can try, is setting your game to 640x480 or 800x600, these resolutions are present on almost any graphics card.
Or try windowed mode, then any resolution can work, as long as it isn't larger than the maximum supported resolution of the user's graphics card.

Jouni(Posted 2008) [#10]
Thaks to help.