New Blitz Basic tutorial on youtube

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/New Blitz Basic tutorial on youtube

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi all,

I've started to produce a series of beginners tutorials for Blitz Basic on you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/amcadam26

Feel free to leave comments, let me know what to improve, and anything you'd like to see covered.

It's meant to be a guide for complete beginners, so you won't be seeing any advance topics like client server networking and only very simple 3D code. But it's enough to get you started. There's 3 sessions right now, and I'll try to add a couple of sessions every week.

6(Posted 2008) [#2]
Nice tutorials Andy. You don't rush though them which is good and I like that you've set the text to large so its easy to read. I can see beginners getting quite a bit out these. Infact, some of us more seasoned users out there might gain from them too. I didn't know about that handy F1 feature!!

What i would like to see is a list or an idea of what future tutorials will include. If I was to complete all these lessons what will I be able to do at the end of it? Will it give me the skills to build my own Doom3 engine or will it be space invaders?

Anyway, good job so far. I look for forward to contining, erm, continnuing, erm contin, erm doing more of these ;)

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#3]
LOL, probably closer to Space Invaders than Doom 3. But Blitz is capable of games approaching the look of Doom 3. Doom does use shaders though, which Blitz doesn't natively support, so you would have to fake them, and I don't know how to do that.

I''ll put up a list somewhere of what each lesson will cover, that way people can give feedback and I can adjust it accordingly based on this.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#4]
Good idea man. Sometimes it can be hard to explain things in just text, so good on you :o)

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#5]
Yeah, I didn't realise until I started these how often I say "um" and "er" when I talk, also, I don't write programs in order, line by line, so there's lots of skipping back and forth through the code.

I felt inspired to do it by a few other youtube users who show off either their games development on their projects or how to program in other languages.

The basic plan for the next few videos is as follows, I'll be slowly working towards the watcher being able to write their own Space Invaders game.

part 1
hello world program

part 2
drawing several rects to the screen
introduced For loops
introduced the Graphics Command

part 3
explained backbuffer and frontbuffer
drawing sprite and moving it
introduced Cls, Flip, Drawimage, LoadImage and variable maths

part 4
user input from keys to move sprite
add timer code
collision detection
explain difference between imagesoverlap and imagescollide
have second moving sprite (following space invaders left right movement)
, you die if you touch it

part 5
types, what are they, why do we use them?
multiple enemy objects now, all moving together as a group

part 6
firing bullets
player at bottom of screen, firing bullets upwards to kill enemies
enemies also drop bombs to kill player
use animation frames
add score variable and print to screen

part 7
saving the score as highscore
loading score at start of game

After these, I'll go on to explain adding title screens, sound effects and playing music.
After this then I'll go on to create a simple BattleZone style tank game in Blitz3D with full tutorials to accompany it.

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#6]
good job andy,
since i am fairly new to blitz3d i will be watching every part of your tutorials...thanks, pirate

6(Posted 2008) [#7]
Cool. Spacies in 7 easy steps. I like it.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2008) [#8]
Well done, Andy!

Doom does use shaders though, which Blitz doesn't natively support, so you would have to fake them

It is said that "Fast Extend library" could do some special effects in Blitz3D, but it may be too advanced for beginners.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=75961

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#9]
This is now up to 6 episodes.

Starting to get popular too! ;-P

I'll be adding another 2 episodes tonight, assuming my hotel internet works properly that is.

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#10]
Just broke 500 views!!! In only the first 8 days.

Feel really good about doing this now. I wasn't sure if anyone would even watch them. But obviously they are. If anyone's got any ideas of good tutorials to do with blitz, let me know. If I don't know it then I can learn it and make a video for the benefit of others to see.

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#11]
I've finished part ten of this now. From now on it will be individual videos looking at different techniques to use in writing games, here's my ideas so far:

how to do gravity

different types of image collision detection

designing a collision map

writing a simple map editor for using tiled levels

scrolling a tiled level

animated sprites

main menus

simple AI

arrays - tictactoe

particle effects

moving in 360 degrees

variable types, using floats for precise movement

paralax scrolling

Oh, and I'm now over 800 views with 7 subscribers.

JonnyEnglish(Posted 2012) [#12]
Check out my channel too, 01tech2teach!

Thx, great tutorials Andy!

(Also check out Pseudo3D Roads in the Blitz Showcase Miscellaneous section)