5000 poly?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/5000 poly?

Azaratur(Posted 2008) [#1]
Do you think that 5000 poly for an human charachter are good?
I can go down a little bit but i'll lose some details..

Aza

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
5,000 is OK if there's only one character.

If there are dozens, you'll likely have problems.

puki(Posted 2008) [#3]
Many of mine are 5,000+

I use LOD versions as well to keep things "Scooby Doo".

GfK(Posted 2008) [#4]
Many of mine are 5,000+
But all yours are stolen.

puki(Posted 2008) [#5]
Yep.

They look great though.

Azaratur(Posted 2008) [#6]
I think to use in my screen just 5 or 7 per screen.. Too much?

I use LOD versions as well to keep things "Scooby Doo".
"Scooby Doo"???
Sorry i don't understand, ok for the lod version but what you mean with scooby doo?

For Lod version, you suggest to load the entity when is far from the cam, or preload it and copyentity?

Stolen or not i think he is a good graphics.

Aza

puki(Posted 2008) [#7]
"Scooby Doo" equates to good.

puki(Posted 2008) [#8]
LOD means having more than one model mesh - obviously ones with lower polys than the main mesh.

Generally, you load them all together and then hide the ones you don't want to show and show the one you want.

Azaratur(Posted 2008) [#9]
I do the same for some of my buildings.. That are so heavy!
Can i make a personal question? Do you "steal" mesh from big game just for fun, or to understand what they do?
My c++ teacher said to me for learn you must copy!

Aza

puki(Posted 2008) [#10]
I use commercial game media as a motivator. It makes my projects look absolutely great - simple as that.

I strongly believe that it is a good way to develop games and help you continue working on a project. You are, from the beginning, working on a great-looking game. It's like having nice clothes, a nice house, a nice car - it's a motivator.

You also get to see what your game could look like at a point when it would not normally do so.

Azaratur(Posted 2008) [#11]
Ok.
That is enough for me!

I prefer see what i can do with my hands, that are two different point of view.

And i use game media (puki and ross) copy from them, just to learn how other person do.
Try to learn and if i can improve it!

Thanks
Aza

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#12]
5000 is just fine

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#13]
5000+ polygon characters. If they are boned, and use skeletal animation, and you have 5 or 6, then yes, you will run into problems. Blitz will render 70,000 + polygons per frame no worries. It's the animation and overdraw that really kills games.

Blitz doesn't use hardware acceleration for boned animations, they are done by the CPU, so beware :o)

If you can, use md2 animation or .3ds/x for the enemies.

Azaratur(Posted 2008) [#14]
What change from b3d to 3ds or x?
I don't find a program to create in md2 or to convert it!
Can you suggest some name?

Aza

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#15]
UltimateUnwrap 3D. Although, i'm not sure how to successfully convert these.

Milkshape might be worth a shot? Or Fragmotion?

Azaratur(Posted 2008) [#16]
What is the difference from a boned animated characther in b3d and 1 in 3ds or x?

I'll check for this program.. But can you explain why this is better? I need to learn!

Aza

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#17]
There is only boned animation for blitz in .b3d. .3ds and .x use animation based on rotating, scaling and or positioning parts of a mesh each frame to build up the animation.

Boned animation is where the vertices of the mesh actually move/deform, to follow the direction/rotation/scale of the bones, and allow better looking animation in most cases.

Problem with blitz is, it doesn't use hardware acceleration, so the CPU has to do the calculations for the bones and vertex positions, which slows things down.

.3ds and .x (in blitz) don't require this extra processing time, but the animations are only suitable for certain models, models made from segments, like a tank and it's turrent for example.

.md2 records the vertex positions each frame. So, nothing is transformed or rotated or scale. The vertices are simply placed at certain locations each animation frame. Very very quick. But it has some drawbacks. I believe the vertex positions can only be integer numbers when saved, so, your animation may have vertices that snap from place to place due to this, unless designed with this in mind.

Basically, i would use:

Boned animation for the main character.

.md2 for the enemies is organic (Human/ animal/ alien)

.3ds or .x for segmented mesh animation, ie. tanks etc

Azaratur(Posted 2008) [#18]
Oki thanks so much..
I really have some problem with md2!
I wanna try milkshape before buy it but the try out version are expired!
Sh..
Now the main charachter is 4200 poly.
Aza

IPete2(Posted 2008) [#19]
Azaratur

A recent project of mine had 3,500 poly main B3D character and upto 28 other none player characters (also B3D) on the same screen using 2,500 polys each, but as Ross states above its not really the polys you have to be aware of, it is almost always a problem to have many characters with lots of bones. So keeping the bone count down overall will help. Also keep an eye on very large texture counts and surface counts. I have used 2048 x 2048 textures to give me super high res results - my project runs at 1680 x 1050 x 32 and attempts to eep 60 frames per second, but fails on some intense scenes, even on a Core 2 with 512MB nVidia 8800GTS - so do beware.

Let us see some images once you get some up and running.

Good luck.

IPete2.

Azaratur(Posted 2008) [#20]
Hi Pete and thanks,
only a question how many bones your meshes have? Just to know.. I think to use a maximum of 10 charachter per screen with biped bone..

Aza

IPete2(Posted 2008) [#21]
Hiya sorry I have not been attentive this last week...

Ok to answer your questions 21 bones for the none player characters and 29 for the main character (who had a flouncy style with bouncy fluffy bits!).

IPete2.