How do i make something glow?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/How do i make something glow?

nerdy_kid(Posted 2008) [#1]
I want ot make a gem "glow".
I already have an effect that makes stuff glow, but it does it by bluring the outline and expanding it, while I want it to just light up, and shine :)

Does anybody know of anything better?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2008) [#2]
try:
global shininess#

shininess# = 1.0

gemlight = createlight(gem)

rotateentity gemlight, 45, 0, 0

entityshininess gem, shininess#

good luck with your project :)

~DarkShadowWing~

sswift(Posted 2008) [#3]
I have not used Blitz3D in a long time, but I think there is an entity flag to make an entity fullbright. You'd lose all lighting effects on the gem but it would be bright.

Your other option would be to set your texture blend mode to add (not the entity blend mode) which would cause the texture to be added to the flat color untextured, but shaded gem surface, instead of multiplied with it like it normally is. That might let you have some lighting.

But in neither case would you be able to adjust the glow. You'd either have to recreate the texture over and over to adjust it, or create an object with multiple layers of polygons and use special blending modes, and I can't remember how to do that or if it's even possible to make it work. Or maybe render the camera view multiple times with varying object alpha with one version being fullbright.

stayne(Posted 2008) [#4]
Try placing a glowy sprite on the gem. Fullbright would be EntityFX gem,1 but I doubt that's what you're looking for.

nerdy_kid(Posted 2008) [#5]
Ok, but I want it to look like it's lit from within.
Perhaps if I lowered the alpha, and then...

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#6]
Use a spherical enviroment map texture.

Draw a white circle on a black backround, and make sure the circle doesn't quite touch any of the edges. This will cause only the centre parts of your mesh to be painted white. Using the mulitplyx2 flag should help.