pirate, new to blitz3d

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/pirate, new to blitz3d

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#1]
hello,
pirate here...i just bought blitz3d...i have been programming in darkbasic pro for about three years...i have faught with the bugs in this program for long enough...the community there are all rude and immature...i started programming with ti basic a long time ago...i worked with qbasic, some c and c++ and a little c#...i have heard about how stable blitz is and decided to try the demo...after programming with dbpro blitz is a lot more like basic is supposed to be..it makes dbpro look stupid...i like the way blitz only allows people who buy the program to post...its good to meet all of you and i'm sure i will need some help from time to time...

puki(Posted 2008) [#2]
Hello.

Blitz3D is a nice little package - lacks some of the features of DBPro, but it makes up for this in ease of use and stability. I too have Dark Basic and Dark Basic Pro, but never use them.

Hujiklo(Posted 2008) [#3]
You have made the right move. Sleep easy from this day forth.

markcw(Posted 2008) [#4]
Hi pirate, welcome to Blitz, I hope you have fun using it.

I tried the DarkBasic Classic demo years ago and was quickly put off by the syntax. I would love to get the source and change the syntax to be like Blitz and I doubt I'm the only one.

The main problem with Blitz is it's DX7, so certain special effects are more difficult eg. water. I don't mind this though as I like the old style DX graphics.

Nice_But_Dim(Posted 2008) [#5]
Hi Pirate
You will learn lots from some of the guys that
hang around in the Blitz forums. (Especially puki)

be well.

Sounded wrong just a joke puki.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#6]
Welcome. Always nice to recruit a few new faces.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#7]
Hey man, welcome :o) Feel free to ask any questions you you need to.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2008) [#8]
a nice little welcome from munich, bavaria!!

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#9]
quote...The main problem with Blitz is it's DX7, so certain special effects are more difficult eg. water. I don't mind this though as I like the old style DX graphics....quote from markcw...

i appreciate the warm greetings...as for the dx7, i don't think this is a problem...i think a game should look like a game..if i want to see water that looks like real water i will go to the lake...thanks guys...i'm working long hours right now, but i am going to get some programming done on the weekend and will need a little help then...thanks again

markcw(Posted 2008) [#10]
Speaking of realistic water, you should check out what is generally considered the best coded water in B3D, by fredborg:
http://www.frecle.net/misc/Water.zip
Full topic:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=53162

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#11]
man,
this is awsome for dx7...

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#12]
That the best water I have seen from Fredborg :)
it would be even better if was in DX 9 or DX 10 :)
whoa

puki(Posted 2008) [#13]
No way is that the best water in B3D.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#14]
OK Puki, wot is the best water in B3D you have see then?

puki(Posted 2008) [#15]
Mmm, "fredborg" has crippled it - he surely sits on a better version.

What must be done prior to Cube_Waves(camera,storm,height,crystal) ?

What visually cripples his version?

What can you simply add to make it more realistic?

Bad "fredborg".

puki(Posted 2008) [#16]
Look at the duck - what is it doing? Forget it is going in a circle - assume it is travelling in a straight line - in a direction - pushed by the waves. Pretend the duck is slowly moving towards a beach, being pushed in by the waves.

Forget about the physical side of this.

Now forget the duck - we don't need to consider it - it is now irrelevent. The duck need not exist for the water to do what it can without the duck.

What are you not seeing in the water? Forget that the wavelets are static - this is normal - it is caused by currents.

Look at the surface of the water - not the waves, the surface.

What is wrong with the surface? Why is the duck not needed? Why is the duck irrelevent?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#17]
Welcome pirate, there is some very helpful individuals on these forums, and sum. {;-)

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#18]
thanks again for the warm welcome.....

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#19]
Red October? :-O

Welcome (back?)

*confused*

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#20]
Haha, it seems you have been using blitz3d for a while? You have alot of tutorials for it on your site :o)

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#21]
i have used the trial...the tutorials are not made by me...the site is a cumulation site..i try to find all the tutorials for as many programs as i can and put them all on one site...i have studied blitz code for a while now...as far as basic programming goes i have been programming for a long time...i am supprised that you did not recognize the tutorials...some are from links on this site...thanks for visiting my site, i hope you found something there that you can use...

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#22]
I don't really use tutorials much :o) I like making it as hard as possible to learn i'm afraid...

Pirate(Posted 2008) [#23]
yea me too, ross c...
i learn more from just studying code and trial and error than tutorials...the tutorials on my site are mostly for people just starting out in programming...if you ever get bored maybe you could make a tutorial for my site to help others...if not it's still cool....