HELP!!!!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/HELP!!!!

nerdy_kid(Posted 2008) [#1]
I'm trying to make some sort of racing game (don't expect to see it any time soon, it will problaly fail), and i'm trying to make the track. I'm using waypoints, i'm going to set them up for sensors to tell if i'm on the track. Any ideas how i can texture the path? I tryed multi-texturing, but i can't position the textures right. I tryed sprites, way to slow. ?

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
Lofted splines are the easiest way.

don't expect to see it any time soon, it will problaly fail
With that attitude, failure is guaranteed I'm afraid.

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#3]
Lofted splines? Remembner this is the begineers forum mate ;-P

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#4]
http://freeworld3d.org/ has a track editor

GfK(Posted 2008) [#5]
Lofted splines? Remembner this is the begineers forum mate ;-P
Lofted spline - feature of many modelling packages where you take one two-dimensional shape (a cross-section of road, for instance) and extrude it along a path.

I'm aware its the beginner's forum, but I had two choices - either answer the question, or say "its too difficult for you".

nerdy_kid(Posted 2008) [#6]
Gfk -
"With that attitude, failure is guaranteed I'm afraid. "

- Yeah well, when you've tryed
6000000000000000000000000000 programs and only 2 of them work, you kinda start thinking that way. But i still try, and eventually something will work. Any ideas on something really simple to make?

nerdy_kid(Posted 2008) [#7]
And thanks for the link to the track editor, boomboom. i'll definatly check that out.

nerdy_kid(Posted 2008) [#8]
$30. :(

GfK(Posted 2008) [#9]
6000000000000000000000000000 programs and only 2 of them work, you kinda start thinking that way
But that's how it works. That's how you learn.

I must've written thousands upon thousands of programs over the years (I've been programming since 1986). Most of the stuff I did early on didn't work very well/at all, either. The idea is that you learn from it and get better at it.

Something simple to code... haven't seen anything you've done but for an absolute beginner I'd opt for:

1. Write a basic, two-player Pong game.

For this you'll need to use only basic graphics, simple functions, a little collision, and that's about it.

2. Add basic artificial intelligence/1 player mode.

Easier than it sounds. Think about what goes through your mind when you're playing. Is the ball higher up than the bat? I need to move the bat up!

3. Add difficulty levels (make the AI easy/hard to beat).

You could do this by something as simple as adding a delay before the AI player reacts to where the ball is, and moves the bat accordingly. Easier difficulty = longer delay.

Yeah I know, nobody wants to make Pong games because they're boring, but I can guarantee that you'll learn a hell of a lot more doing that, than getting out of your depth trying to write 6000000000000000000000000000 programs - 5999999999999999999999999998 of which, don't work.

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#10]
Track Editor and a
and possible

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#11]
my pong game sucks. But then the AI changes how quickly the AI bat moves, rather than a delayed reaction. So the computer eitehr always hits it or always misses it.

nerdy_kid(Posted 2008) [#12]
Gfk - thanks a ton, i'm 14 and i've been programing for about 2 years now, at least i know somebody else had as much trouble as i'm having. I'll try to make a 3d pong game, and i'll post it if it works out.

nerdy_kid(Posted 2008) [#13]
tonyg - thanks for that link, i love free stuff.

SoggyP(Posted 2008) [#14]
Hello.

at least i know somebody else had as much trouble as i'm having

Everyone on this, and every other programming, was in the same position once, and experienced the same problems. Generally, one day something just clicks and it all (ok, maybe not all) begins to make sense. I think I'll call it popping your newbie cherry.

Basically, be polite, willing to learn and ask pertinent, relevant questions. Be prepared to start small and let your understanding grow at it's own rate. Also, don't take shite from people who are too high and mighty to help - we've a few of them on this site, but thankfully they get banned often enough not to make them too much of a pain in the backside.

Oh, and check out the first thread on this forum, it's got a lot of good, simple ideas in it.

Goodbye.

nerdy_kid(Posted 2008) [#15]
Thanks, SoggyP.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#16]
The spline idea isn't THAT hard to implement really :o) But i agree with the above. Code something easy. Get it to work, add some features and generally get a feel for techniques for coding. Most other advanced techniques, come from expanding upon the basic ones.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#17]
I wrote some bezier track code a loooooong time ago - it may help ... see this thread ...

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=39690#444143

nerdy_kid(Posted 2008) [#18]
Ross C - Yeah, my problem is i start something simple, then i get excited and start trying to incorperate stuff that is way above my head...and it fails.

Stevie G - that's really cool. I really haven't even touched the mesh commands yet, but that will be a lot of help when i do.

nerdy_kid(Posted 2008) [#19]
How's this?

you need blitz_bass_studio
, and Blitz3D\Games\TunnelRun\Media\tex0.bmp.