cameras in blitz

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/cameras in blitz

Santiworld(Posted 2008) [#1]
hi, how works the blitz cameras...

i have a game, when i change the camera, i change the position of one camara, or is recomended use another camara?..

if i need 10 views, what is recomended?....

now i use one single camera, and change the position and parent of this camera to change the views.....

exist another way?

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#2]
Well, having one camera would be fine. You set the camera to it's new position... etc

If you are going to use multiple cameras, then you need to make sure you hide all the camera which are not getting used.

If you can further expand your question, and what you need it for, it might help with a solution.

Santiworld(Posted 2008) [#3]
when you say, hide camera... is becouse you change can change the camera with commnand hideentity and showentity?

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#4]
Well, if you have 3 cameras. When you call renderworld, each camera will render the world from their position. So, if you have 3 cameras, you will be doing 3 renders. Not recommended really, unless all of your cameras are going to show on the screen.

However, if you hide a camera, it won't do anything. It won't render anything.

chi(Posted 2008) [#5]
its faster to use cameraprojmode then hideentity...

from helpfile ->

CameraProjMode camera,mode

camera - camera handle

mode - projection mode:
0: no projection - disables camera (faster than HideEntity)
1: perspective projection (default)
2: orthographic projection

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#6]
It used to be. I'm not sure that's the case anymore. Mark fixed a bug with Hiding entities/cameras.

You could very well still be right though! :o)

chi(Posted 2008) [#7]
i never benchmarked it ;) but for me it seems more logical to turn off/on a camera instead of hide/show it.

cheers, chi

puki(Posted 2008) [#8]
I used a Blitz camera to steal piggo-teddy:

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2008) [#9]
Hiding the camera (or any other entity) will also erase its collision state, so if it is involved in collision handling directly, not only by its parent, then it may (eg) accidently fall trough the ground.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#10]
Good point :o)