Fade to black

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Fade to black

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#1]
Is it possible fade screen to black except some meshes?

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
Yep

Create a small cube (5x5x5 or something) and position it at the camera coordinates. Colour it black, flip its normals, set it to fullbright. Adjust its alpha up/down to fade in/out.

For the meshes that you still want to be visible, set them to be drawn last using EntityOrder.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks GfK. I tested and it works exactly the way I wanted.
But now I have another problem: Setting Entity Order to a negative value for some meshes I have problems with z-order of their faces...

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#4]
Don't use meshes that have multiple "planes" of alpha surfaces. As blitz does not alpha sort stuff before rendering you potentially can run into such problems at any time (and using entity order makes the problem only worse normally)

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#5]
Don't use meshes that have multiple "planes" of alpha surfaces

How I can check-avoid that?. I have these z-order issues with a fighter that comes with the Blitz3D package in Media folder...
This is what I want to do:
I need to leave a planet with my spaceship. Leaving the planet at a certain height I want to fade everything and smoothly transform to space environment...

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#6]
Another way, if the z ordering is still bothering you, is to use fog. For the entities you want NOT to fade, set there entityfx flag to 8. Then, you set up fog, the near value at 0, the far value a little bigger than the cameras position.

Then, simply decrease the camerafog FAR range to meet the camera. Make sure your fog colour is 0,0,0 black though :o)

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#7]
just do 2 renderworlds with the second renderworld with the cls mode of 0... then just hide all the entities you wanted to fade for the second render.

I.E
HideEntities you don't want to fade
ShowEntities you do want to fade + black cube
Renderworld
HideEntities you want to fade + black cube as described
ShowEntities you don't want to fade
Renderworld again

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#8]
Graphics3D 640,480,32,2

camera = CreateCamera()
FadeEntities = CreatePivot()
NonFadeEntities = CreatePivot()

fadecube = CreateCube()
EntityColor fadecube,0,0,0
FlipMesh fadecube
EntityAlpha fadecube,0

Light=CreateLight()

For n=1 To 20
	cube = CreateCube(NonFadeEntities)
	PositionEntity cube,Rnd(-5,5),Rnd(-5,5),Rnd(0,20)
	ScaleEntity cube,Rnd(.2,1),Rnd(.2,1),Rnd(.2,1)
	RotateEntity cube,Rnd(360),Rnd(360),Rnd(360)
	EntityColor cube,Rand(255),Rand(255),Rand(255)
Next

For n=1 To 20
	cube = CreateCube(FadeEntities)
	PositionEntity cube,Rnd(-5,5),Rnd(-5,5),Rnd(0,20)
	ScaleEntity cube,Rnd(.2,1),Rnd(.2,1),Rnd(.2,1)
	RotateEntity cube,Rnd(360),Rnd(360),Rnd(360)
	EntityColor cube,Rand(255),Rand(255),Rand(255)
Next

a# = 0
Repeat
	EntityAlpha fadecube,Abs(Sin(a))
	a = a + .5

CameraClsMode camera,True,True
	HideEntity NonFadeEntities
	ShowEntity FadeEntities
	ShowEntity fadecube
	RenderWorld
	CameraClsMode camera,False,True
	ShowEntity NonFadeEntities
	HideEntity FadeEntities
	HideEntity fadecube
	RenderWorld 
	Flip
Until KeyHit(1)

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#9]
Thank you all.

Ross C:
I already use fog in planet's environment and I disabled the fog FX for the skydome. I think it will be very difficult to transform from one fog (I mean this one on planet's surface) to another (nearly the top of skydome).

Rob:
Thanks for the code but unfortunately I can't use a second camera with Cls Mode set to False because in this case AShadow lib cannot cast any shadows. In any case I'll think this solution again because I don't need any shadows during transition from planet's atmosphere to space...

My last thought is to use a black colored sprite front of the camera playing with its alpha and then make a call of RenderEntity function (Fast Extension) only for those meshes I don't want to fade.

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#10]
I'm not using a second camera, just 2 render passes.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#11]
Yep, you are right but the CameraClsMode function doesn't work with AShadow lib although this is the best solution for my case. :)