network games capacities

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/network games capacities

Santiworld(Posted 2008) [#1]
soryy if this is a very easy cuestion...

if i make a 3d blitz game network...

there is a limit of players?..

what are the basic limitation with network games?...

can i do server games like lineage or call of duty?...

asuming i have those servers to do that...

thanks...

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#2]
you can do anything if you can program it (but you would do the server with BlitzPlus / blitzMax, not blitz3d as blitz3d is dx7 bound)

MMO servers are not single apps anyway. that are multiple parallel running servers that intercommunicate and between which you move forth and back. -> "server cluster"

the basic problem is that you will first need to fully understand UDP and networking, without that you can not even do a 2 player tetris in realtime

Santiworld(Posted 2008) [#3]
thanks dreamora, but, i dont understand the basic diferences between blitz3d, or blitzmax, or plus...

if i want make network games with servers, and nice graphics, what blitz should use?...

dx7 is directx7, blitz3d is limited to use dx7? and the others no?

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#4]
Why would he have to do the server in another language? Unless he wanted to use a linux server, then he would only be able to do it in BlitzMax. You can make a decent server for a small player base with blitz3D just the same as with plus.

Latatoy, just program your server in blitz3D, then if you want to get a slight speed boost then you can just compile it in BlitzPlus (the code will work, with probbaly no alterations). If your game gets really big, then you can worry about getting really good speeds from your server side stuff, and have the money to hire some good c and asm boys, and buy equipment to have server clusters. Until then keep it in the language you know.

Just keep the server lightweight, don't bother using any processing loops on graphics stuff for the server, just simple text that you can use to debug, and that can be turned off (so its just a black running window).

And to be helpful, have a look at some already made networking libraries:

http://www.rottbott-studios.com/rottnet.html
http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=75705

Santiworld(Posted 2008) [#5]
:) thanks...

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#6]
Well the point against B3D was mainly that the target system must have DX7 installed to make it run even if you don't use graphics. Unlike BlitzPlus / BlitzMax which both could easily be run in a stone age wine on a linux box for example.

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#7]
...but hes asking in the blitz3d forum, and is obviously a blitz3d user, who wants a useful answer about the question hes asking in the context its asked.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#8]
Sure. But the question was server, not "game" and server with DX7 binding and no event based work is highly useless unless you wanted to burn energy.