Abs with Sin to make Enemy go forward and back?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Abs with Sin to make Enemy go forward and back?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hiya all,

Correct me if I am wrong...the command called Abs which does the trick with sin or cos to make the enemys go forward and back...

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
???

Abs is nothing to do with Sin or Cos. You might be looking for Atan2 but I don't know since you haven't said exactly what you're trying to do.

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#3]
ABS will take make any number positive, ie ABS(-1) = 1

No idea what you're talking about with the "does the trick with sin or cos to make the enemys go forward and back"

However, for you run a counter from 0 to 359 ie

count = (count + 1) mod 360

x = sin(count) * [distance to move]

because sin ranges from -1 to 1 you will make things move left and right.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#4]
What I am trying to do is make the enemys go forward and backward just using one commands....

so you say ATAN2....how do I do that in the code to make the enemys forward and backward?

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#5]
Explanation in my previous post.

c=0

Repeat
Cls

For x=-10 To 10
	Text 200+(x*10),(Sin(c+(x*10))*50)+100,"X",True,True
Next

c = (c+1) Mod 360
Flip

Until KeyHit(1)

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#6]
That was interesting sin wave you got there. :)

it is Platform game I am making. For now I using just two IF command to make the enemys go forward and backward but I am sure there is just one command to make the enemys go forward and backward.

SoggyP(Posted 2008) [#7]
Hello.

Perhaps this is what you mean? I'm not at work so I can't be sure what's happening. Obviously, it's all my own original code too ;o)

Perhaps what HotShot is trying to acheive is drawing a circle but only changing the x or the y element - that does have the affect of moving back and forth. (BTW, I'm assuming that's what the amended code is doing)

Code Removed

Goodbye.

SoggyP(Posted 2008) [#8]
Hello.

Ok, it's BlitzMax but easy enough to convert
Strict

Graphics 800,600,0

Local i:Int

While Not KeyDown(KEY_ESCAPE)
	Cls
	i:+1
	i:Mod 360
	If (i>180) Then SetColor 255,255,0 Else SetColor 0,0,255
	DrawOval 100*(Sin(i+90))+400,300,8,8
	Flip
Wend

End

Is that what you mean?

Goodbye.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#9]
yep that right Soggy :) wicked

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#10]
the alternative what you most likely are looking for is signum (sgn) which returns -1, 0, 1 depending on the input is < 0, 0, > 0