Infinite terrain

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Infinite terrain

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi guys!
I want to make an infinite (or at least a very large terrain) where I can drive my spaceship at a very low height. I want to place structures in certain positions. Before try to reinvent the wheel can someone give me guidelines on:
1. How to create infinite terrains.
2. How to place my structures on the terrain above. (is there any good program for this?)

Thanks in advance.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#2]
1. You can not, at least not without implementing a rather powerfull streamed terrain system.
What you can do thought is dynamically modifying the terrain to let it look like it is infinite / very large and move the building in the opposite x-z direction than the ship and keep the ship above the center of that terrain all the time

2. Calculate the height at the position. TerrainY on a regular terrain

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks Draemora. This is what I thought so far:
I have 2 terrains.
Te first one is what the player can see.
The second one will be placed to the north, south, east or west of the first terrain and when the spaceship will reach the border of the first terrain.
Tow terrains must be 'seamless'.

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#4]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=801 unfortunately broken link

SoggyP(Posted 2008) [#5]
Hello.

Don't forget your North-East, South-East, South-West and North-West cos if your player flies to the corner they're gonna see the end of the world.

You might want to do a search on this as it's been raised plenty of times before.

Goodbye.

Paul Murray(Posted 2008) [#6]
Doesn't the bi-plane code sample that comes with Blitz feature seamless repeating terrain?

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#7]
boomboom: This link is broken from the first time I think. I send an e-mail to this guy. You never now...

SoggyP: I forgot it. :(

Muzzer: I can't find any bi-plane sample. Please can you give me the path to this sample?

Thanks!

IPete2(Posted 2008) [#8]
Well...if you have the complete install for B3d it's in the samples\3D samples folder - then look inside the MAK folder and it is called xfighter.bb

Happy flying! Chocks away...

IPete2.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#9]
I was looking for a bi-plane.bb file... not an xfighter.bb
Thanks IPete2

IPete2(Posted 2008) [#10]
Cheers - glad to be of some help.

IPete2.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#11]
If you're using Blitz terrains, watch out because the vertices at opposite sides of a terrain are automatically adjusted so they are the same height.

That means you can put copies of the same terrain next to each other with relative ease, but putting two different terrains next to each other is going to be quite fiddly.

puki(Posted 2008) [#12]
There is quite a nice looking infinite terrain engine - B.I.T.E. (Blitz Infinite Terrain Engine) by "makakoman". All source is supplied and it is freely useable.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2008) [#13]
puki is it just on your harddrive? ;) share us a link please ;)

puki(Posted 2008) [#14]
Yes it is.

I have it on several drives.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#15]
I searched all the Internet, except your hard drive
I didn't find B.I.T.E...
Can you e-mail please?

Nmuta(Posted 2008) [#16]
I built a game around the B.I.T.E. system a few years ago and it's amazingly fast and a great system to use.

It really is infinite. The hard drive I have the source code on crashed , though, and I don't know whether I can recover it.

If you email it to me I can either post it here or upload to my server for all to download.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#17]
Nmuta: That's great but I think puki does not watch this thread any more:(

Haddad(Posted 2008) [#18]
[a http://web.archive.org/web/20040904123547/http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=makakoman04012003155225&comments=no]is it this?[/a]

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#19]
Thanks Haddad!. I think this is

Edit: Anyone who has difficulties on download let me know to e-mail