.exe problem: 'Memory access violation' error

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/.exe problem: 'Memory access violation' error

nerdy_kid(Posted 2008) [#1]
This problem only pops up when I download other peoples programs that where made with blitz. I try running it, the graphics start up, but the it crashes with the 'Memory access violation' error. This is realy starting to bug me, because I tryed to download a world editor that used to work, and it crashes. I would REALLY appreciate some help here.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#2]
restart your computer and make sure WindowBlinds and the like isn't running.
And get WHQL certified drivers, otherwise the drivers just might have broken dx7 support.

nerdy_kid(Posted 2008) [#3]
My directx diagnostic tool says everything's OK.
?

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#4]
well not really.
Take Blitz3D and try the loadtexture command with flags 2,4 or 256+2, 256+4 ...
if you have a trashy driver it will just bomb out returning 0 instead of a valid texture handle

nerdy_kid(Posted 2008) [#5]
I tryed it and it worked fine.

Floyd(Posted 2008) [#6]
If you are downloading an archive, such as zip, then be sure to preserve the directory structure when decompressing. Otherwise the program will be looking in the wrong place for files it needs.

nerdy_kid(Posted 2008) [#7]
I never change the directory structure. Some programs I download work, others don't.
Just the other day, I made a screensaver for my computer that works when I double-click it, but not when I try to start it through Display Properties; it gives me the 'Memory access violation' error again.

IPete2(Posted 2008) [#8]
Jessebugs,

for the screen saver try putting this at the start of your source code

ChangeDir = "c:\xxxx" ; for when deployed where xxxx is the path to where you proggie is on the hd.

IPete2.

nerdy_kid(Posted 2008) [#9]
I found what was wrong. Data Execution Prevention was stopping it, but it never notifyed me, which is wierd, because it usually does. Well, thanks guys, for trying to help me out.