Multiplayer Gaming From Start To Finish

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Multiplayer Gaming From Start To Finish

ec(Posted 2008) [#1]
I am trying to make a basic online multiplayer game. I mean where me and my friend across town could play against each other I get the idea about sending information with sendnetmsg and recvnetmsg but my friend can't see my game when I use the startnetgame command.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
Will probably need to set up port forwarding if routers are involved.

semar(Posted 2008) [#3]
@ec,
if you are in a LAN, then you can use DirectPlay, which uses Startnetgame to open a server for listening.

But if you and your friends are in Internet, then DirectPlay won't work. You need either TCP or UDP in order to communicate.

I suggest you to read more on the topic; there are lots of examples in code archive.

If you fancy, I've wrote a complete chat program which works also in internet. It uses TCP. Here is the link for your convenience:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=28

Bare in mind that, in order to communicate with you with this chat program, your friends need to know your IP address. You can easily know by typing 'IPCONFIG' in a dos command window. Then you can provide your IP address to your friends using e-mail or icq or msn... or use GNet. Have a search for it on this website.

Regards,
Sergio.