Directx 9 and 10

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Directx 9 and 10

dman(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi, I would like to know if the current version of Blitz3D supports directx 9 with all features and will it be supporting directx 10 in the future.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#2]
Nope, i'm afraid not. There will be no official support for dx 8/9/10+ for blitz2d/3d. Unless someone brings out there own version for dx 9 lib that is :o)

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#3]
Blitz3D currently only supports DX7. I believe it is also missing some of the DX7 functionality. Whether it will ever get upgraded to a higher DX version is debatable, but I suspect it will be replaced with BlitzMax + an official 3D module before that point is reached.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#4]
Correct, but some of the missing DX7 featureset can be put in through userlibs.

Toms dx7test.dll for example adds render to texture
Devil Childs and others did stencil shadow based shadow systems and added refraction etc.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#5]
WHY does people want Direct x 9 lib for Blitz 3D?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#6]
>>WHY does people want Direct x 9 lib for Blitz 3D? <<

Because we want nice cute shaders available on same beautiful elegant way as old good DX 7 is supported...

>>Hi, I would like to know if the current version of Blitz3D supports directx 9 with all features and will it be supporting directx 10 in the future.<<

..soon will be released very good DX9 wrapper for Blitz3D, with shaders and all stuff we were asking for..Xors3D rocks..

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#7]
do you know when the release date for DX9 Wrapper?
I think I know what Shader can do...like having cool effect such bloom, bump mapping ..correct me if I am wrong.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#8]
No really, why would we want DX9 instead of DX7: You haven't suffered the driver issues yet you have with current gen hardware, have you?
LoadTexture returning 0 instead of a texture handle which leads to MAV on RenderWorld and the like.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2008) [#9]
we want antialiasing to work on all cards, we want animations done by gpu not by cpu, we want.....

Mustang(Posted 2008) [#10]

No really, why would we want DX9 instead of DX7

Current way to do any 3D is to use GPUs and their power as much as possble; Blitz is totally incapable of using any of that. Only faster CPU would make Blitz3D apps faster (boning etc)... but there's no support for multi-core CPUs either which is the the trend... so either way Blitz3D can use only fraction of any half-modern hardware power.

Blitz3D is a dinosaur, no matter how you look at it, as it doesn't fit into any hardware pipeline anymore. But it does not mean that you can't do god games with it; it's stable and reasonable fast and certainly easy to learn. You just can't do Crysis with it.

PowerPC603(Posted 2008) [#11]

Current way to do any 3D is to use GPUs and their power as much as possble; Blitz is totally incapable of using any of that.

Do you mean that when you use CreateMesh(), AddVertex and AddTriangle and other 3D-commands, that this is processed by the CPU in Blitz3D instead of the GPU? When you add a vertex, is this vertex created in RAM or GraphicsRAM (RAM on graphics card)?

Doesn't Renderworld use the GPU for rendering?

I would like to know all this, because I'm currently creating a very large and complex game (a mixture of X2/X3 and GTA), I've got some basic stuff working (like the production process for factories) but I still have to create all the models for my 3D-world.

If Blitz3D doesn't use the GPU at all, then this project can litterally be thrown in the garbage-can as it would be too much processing for a single CPU.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#12]
Do you mean that when you use CreateMesh(), AddVertex and AddTriangle and other 3D-commands, that this is processed by the CPU in Blitz3D instead of the GPU?

It's done with both. There is no other way, except with DX10 which is Vista-only.

When you add a vertex, is this vertex created in RAM or GraphicsRAM (RAM on graphics card)?

Again, both. It would make no sense to only have it one or the other. It's put together in system ram and then uploaded to vram when required.

Doesn't Renderworld use the GPU for rendering?

Of course, it uses the GPU for rendering. It's not a software renderer. That doesn't mean that it uses the GPU for skinning, or for occlusion culling, it appears to have no scenegraph and I'm not sure what it does in the way of vertex buffers, arrays, strips, trianglelists, etc. But still, it's not a software renderer.

PowerPC603(Posted 2008) [#13]
I thought so. But like Mustang wrote it, I interpreted it like nothing gets done by the GPU in Blitz3D.
Or is my English that bad? :-)

Either way, I've tested some 3D-routines (for generating my landscape in realtime) and they work fast in B3D, so I could have known the GPU was involved in rendering, otherwise it would be too slow.