loading from milkshape3d

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/loading from milkshape3d

rtk(Posted 2008) [#1]
whenever i load a model from milkshape into blitz3d the textures disappear. whats going on?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2008) [#2]
Make sure the texture is in the same folder as the model. Make sure the texture paths are correct in the file: drag the mesh to notepad and see what texture path is stored inside the file.

rtk(Posted 2008) [#3]
when i drag the mesh to notepad most of what i see is a bunch of ones and zeros. where do you tell if the file has the correct path?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2008) [#4]
Just scroll around in notepad, there must be a human readable path somewhere. Usually it's in the top few lines.

rtk(Posted 2008) [#5]
i reexported the model as an md2 with an animation and now it disappeared completely. i also couldn't find the path when i dragged it into notepad. if it helps, the program gives an "illegal memory access" error when i try to animate it. The same thing happened with another md2 with the same texture problem.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#6]
Sounds like the export went somewhere bogus.

And MD2 texturing works a little different. They aren't regular entities.
For that reason the normal texturing as well as animation commands do not work. MD2 has its own.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#7]
And remember you can't use mesh commands with MD2's.

Did you make sure your texture was in the same folder as the mesh when you loaded it in blitz the first time?

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#8]
Personally I have the models I'm working on in the same location as they will be used within the blitz program I'm writing.

For example, Game\models\blah.ms3d.

Then when I export I export to game\models\blah.b3d.

And I usually keep all the textures in game\models\blah.png to keep everything together and I get no problems what so ever.