3d Animation

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/3d Animation

dman(Posted 2008) [#1]
I tried to use 3dmax 7 with the b3d pipeline, but when I
try to animate it the mesh stays still while the bones is
animated. Is there a way to get the whole thing animated?
also the bones shows, how to get the right animation.

thank you

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#2]
Did you add a physique modifier to the stack? Or a skin modifier? You need to add either one of these to the stack before you do any animations. There were some situations using the physique modifier that Ive read about before but I use ultimate unwrap 3d to convert to b3d format so I havent had any problems with the exports.

With a skin modifier, it uses envelopes to assign each vertex in the model to the bones. You need to add which bones you want to have envelopes in the Skin rollout.

With a Physique modifier, you can chose either envelopes
or assign vertices directly to bones which is what I do. The physique modifier is more tempermental due to more settings and options you need to set. If you select this, you need to assing the physique modifier to the Bip01 part of your biped, or the root of your bone system.

dman(Posted 2008) [#3]
thats what I did. I added a skin modifier, also used the biped
the problem is that I think the b3d format is not working properly.
can I use 3d format with the animation instead?

Is there a free 3d file format converter out there?
I need some way of getting my animations into Blitz3d.

thank you

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#4]
If your using the Skin modifier, you should be able to the b3d pipeline. Did you install the b3d pipeline patch? Make sure you download the patch, http://www.onigirl.com/pipeline/Max6_Patch.zip. After I installed the patch the pipeline worked alot better. The next thing is to use the B3d Viewer from within Studio Max. Usually, if the b3d viewer shows your animation properly, it will export it properly.

I dont know of any free b3d exporters, but you can also check out D4nm4ns exporter thread here...
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=66815
There may be a way to load a different format into blitz3d and save the file as .b3d.

I would suggest trying the patch, then view your model with the b3d viewer inside max to make sure it looks ok. Then export it and try it with your own code, if you get an error, try adjusting the settings of the exporter and try it again. Please post your results here. If you get an error or the export doesnt seem to work, let us know exactly what is happening.

Thanks.

dman(Posted 2008) [#5]
I put the patch and still not working. what happens is the head of the model is not connected to the body, so when I animate in Blitz3d. The the head is animated and the body do not move. I unhide the bones, still no change. It seems that the bones leaves the body behind. I am using LOADANIMMESH and ANIMATE in the program.

What do the viewer do? is it suppose to show the end result of the animation inside max?

Thank You

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#6]
Yes, the viewer will make a temporary b3d of the file and render it in a the viewer from max. Its a quick way of checking to make sure your model is ok before you export it.

A little late to ask but when you play your animation in max does everything look ok? Does the animation play correctly in max before you try any exporting? With the skin modifier, you have to add all the bones in the skin modifier rollout, this will add envelopes to those bones, you will most definitely have to tweak the envelopes so that they affect the vertices you want them to.

heres a pic of the skin modifier rollout with the bones added...

dman(Posted 2008) [#7]
yes the animation and everything works fine in 3dmax and I did put all the bones in for the skin. but when I try to run it in the blitz3d program thats when only the head moves and the rest of it is in one pose. Another problem is when I use the preview for the b3d exporter I don't see anything, the preview is not working. I also tried using Biped and max bones.

Thank You

Santiworld(Posted 2008) [#8]
i have the same problem, but the preview of pipeline work perfect, and play the animation ok...

in blitz, no, only bones move...

any solution? :(

SpaceMan94(Posted 2008) [#9]
Models from 3dmax cannot be animated in b3d unless it is converted to .md2 or .x file. If you cannot find a converter I suggest that you buy ac3d from the game creators website. It is easy to use and can be converted into many files including .md2.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#10]
Models from 3dmax cannot be animated in b3d unless it is converted to .md2 or .x file.

This simply isn't true.

i have the same problem, but the preview of pipeline work perfect, and play the animation ok...in blitz, no, only bones move...

Well there's your problem right there. Your bones shouldn't be visible. You must have your export settings wrong.

Santiworld(Posted 2008) [#11]
i post the b3d..

the bones are visibles...
in the preview the animation skin is ok..
i thinks is something with findchild and animate..

the preview of pipeline, is a blitz program...
so, is i see in the preview.. the b3d file, is animated, and pipeline works fine..

the problem is when i load the animmesh b3d in blitz... some code is missing...

this post maibe can contiune in this other discussion..

(sorry my english again)

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=80869

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#12]
I don't have anything installed which can read a B3D. Can you clarify something for me? Are the bones visible ONLY in the preview? Or are they visible in your exported B3D too? If they are visible in both, it is your export settings which are wrong, although FindChild may also be an issue. I would be looking for options with names like "Export bones as geometry" and ensuring that they are disabled.

If you use a pivot as the base object of the scene ( I think this is a B3D Pipeline option also ) then yes, you will need to use FindChild() to find your character and animate that.

Santiworld(Posted 2008) [#13]
i trying all export opcions possible..

now the b3d i post have visible bones..

but if you findchild a bone, in the chest for example...-->

chest_bone = findchild (player,"bone03") ...

and turn the entity chest_bone, the mesh skin, in blitz, work with the bone turn. but not with the animation...

Santiworld(Posted 2008) [#14]
I Made it!!!!

this is the code, to fix that problem...
like many says, the problem was in the findchild missing and animate command..

thanks to all...!...

------------------

player = loadanimmesh("b3d\temp.b3d")
scaleentity player,e,e,e

Global a_saluda=ExtractAnimSeq (player,0,130)
	Global a_corre=ExtractAnimSeq (player,25,45)

h = findchild(player,"human")
	Animate player,1,.23,a_saluda,2

Animate h

SLotman(Posted 2008) [#15]
If that worked, it was because you're had the export settings wrong.

You probably have multiple meshes (instead of just one, with sub-objects attached) and then you exported it with "create a scene root", so just LoadAnimMesh/Animate wouldn't work - you were trying to animate the scene root, not your mesh!