Script Engines

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Script Engines

ringwraith(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi,

I've been looking around for a way to create quests in an rpg I'm making. Mostly what I've found is that I should use a scripting engine. The problem is, I'm not quite sure I understand what exactly these things do and how they would be useful in this context. Ichecked out the BriskVM website and it seems to me like scripts are just files in a different language that can be included in Blitz programs. So, what exactly are scripts and how are they useful?

_33(Posted 2007) [#2]
Try GameScript written by John J.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=69531

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#3]
Usefull: they are not part of the executable itself -> can be written by other users and especially without recompiling the game itself which means more secure. Yet they still can be compiled so nobody can just read the sources, you can extend and replace functionality on the fly with scripting by just call a different script.

ringwraith(Posted 2007) [#4]
So, what I'm getting is that they are useful only if you intend for the end user to be able to create mods. Or is there something else that makes useful as well?

Matty(Posted 2007) [#5]
It makes it far easier for you yourself to make changes and introduce new events/quests etc through a scripting system as you do not have to hard code as much stuff.