More lights?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/More lights?

JBR(Posted 2007) [#1]
Is DirectX limited to just 8 lights?

I would like more .....

Jim

big10p(Posted 2007) [#2]
DX7 is, I believe. Not sure about higher versions.

puki(Posted 2007) [#3]
If you are lucky, you may get 16 under DX7.

I've never seen this though.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#4]
From the docs:
There is a DirectX limit on the number of lights available per scene - this is either 8 or 16 depending on your video card, but you should always assume 8.

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#5]
Bear in mind that the more lights you have the slower your scene will be. Best to re-use where possible.

Mustang(Posted 2007) [#6]
If you want more than 8, you do not really understand how to do games... games are different compared to rendering stuff. In fact if you're using more than 2-3 real-time lights you're way off.

JBR(Posted 2007) [#7]
ok boss

but i'm doing a landscape and a rocket should light up the landscape as it progresses, hence the need for lights ... the more the better.

Jim

jhocking(Posted 2007) [#8]
Why would you need a whole bunch of lights for that? Sounds to me like one big light source (the flame of the rocket.)

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#9]
You could use sprites, color the vertices of the terrain, or even draw onto the terrains lightmap.

JBR(Posted 2007) [#10]
There will be many rockets at a time hence many lights.

Beaker, it's not a terrain, more of many meshes joined together so could get messy.....

Thanks
Jim

jhocking(Posted 2007) [#11]
Righto, well what you want doesn't change reality. You asked if you can have more than 8 lights, and the answer is no. At least not DirectX light sources; as Mustang pointed out, even 8 DirectX light sources is a lot, and as Beaker pointed out there are a variety of ways other than DirectX light sources which can be used to do lighting effects. If you explained in more detail what exactly you are doing (how many rockets simultaneously? where is the camera relative to those rockets? etc.) we might be able to help come up with a way to get the effect you want.

Ben(t)(Posted 2007) [#12]
you could make the light range of each rocket's flame get bigger until a certain point then free that light and assign a new one to another rocket