Collision Issue

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Collision Issue

stayne(Posted 2007) [#1]
I have a blitz primitive cube, entity type 1, and a .b3d model of a boat, entity type 2. Collisions are set up. Gravity code works and I can walk onto the boat. Once I'm on the boat I parent the cube to the boat. No problems. I hit a key and make the boat take off and seek out its waypoints, still no problems, I'm moving with the boat now and can walk around on it freely.

The problem is that the cube is falling through the boat in places when it's moving, mostly around hard angle areas in the mesh...especially at the base of a ramp. The boat is modeled well...no cracks, etc.

Are there collision issues with moving objects even if it's the parent?

stayne(Posted 2007) [#2]
This Nuclear Glory lib... anyone have experience with it?

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#3]
No blitz3d version actually. Waiting for nearly a year now to get either the Blitz3D or the C++ version of V4

V3 was seriously bugged
No other version than V4 for DBP can be downloaded at the moment.

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#4]
What you could do is, drop your player from say, 5 blitz units, do a line pick downwards, position your player at that point. From the pick, you can also get the normals, therefore positioning your player to the angle the boat is at, using aligntovector(). Linepick is really good if you have two ietms that are moving. With the idea that i suggested, keep your cube parented.

In the project i worked on, i had moving platforms, so i only parented the player to them if he was standing on the platform. If he jumped, i unparented him.

stayne(Posted 2007) [#5]
Thanks Ross, tossed you an email.

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#6]
I replied to your email btw.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#7]
falling trough the ground usualy happens when you move 2 meshes towards eachother with no updateworld between the two movements. Could it be your ship is going up and down on waves? But even if it doesn't, there may be rounding errors that may result in the same effect. Then again, Ross' solution sounds robust and practical. And it's a real-world-like solution, when you consider friction of your feet as some kind of X/Z parenting, as long as you're not jumping.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#8]
Or it could be the mesh isnt welded correctly, things have a habit of falling through even the very smallest of gaps and unwelded vertices.

IPete2.

stayne(Posted 2007) [#9]
I went through and check the mesh throroughly, no gaps. I ended up using Nuclear Glory just for the player/boat situation and it works rather well.