Really basic HELP! lol

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Really basic HELP! lol

Quantum(Posted 2007) [#1]
Sorry to be asking what is probably a really silly question with a blatantly obvious answer... but I've been away from coding for a while & I'm now trying to do a really basic little visualisation that uses a `portal` that I can't seem to get working properly... I know the problem is probably so obvious that I'm almost afraid to ask lol

But... this works... ie: when the player comes into contact with the portal... one scenery mesh is `hidden` & another is `shown`...

If EntityCollided(player,3)
HideEntity mesh
ShowEntity mesh2
EndIf

My problem starts when I add a `switch` so that when the player re-collides with the `portal` the scenery meshes switch back... I've added a global named `location` with a value of either 0 or 1... set by the collision with the portal... ie:

If location=0
HideEntity mesh
ShowEntity mesh2
location=1
EndIf
EndIf

If location=1
HideEntity mesh2
ShowEntity mesh
location=0
EndIf
EndIf

For some reason absolutely nothing happens when the player collides with the `portal` now?... could someone please tell me why :)

Thanks

BTW... I set `location=0` in the initialisation, so it does have an initial value.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#2]
When location=0 you're swapping meshes and then set location=1 which is then immediately caught by the next if statement which switches the meshes back! Use:

If location
; Location = 1
Else
; Location = 0
EndIf

Quantum(Posted 2007) [#3]
Of course it is! lol... thanks big10p :)... I'm not sure I understand your solution though?

big10p(Posted 2007) [#4]
I just mean do something like the following, so only one block of code gets executed each pass:
If location 
    HideEntity mesh2
    ShowEntity mesh
    location=0
  EndIf
Else
    HideEntity mesh
    ShowEntity mesh2
    location=1
  EndIf
EndIf

Quantum(Posted 2007) [#5]
Ah!!!!!!!... a BIG thanks big10p :)... I see what you mean now! Cheers!

I'd temporarily fixed it by assigning a totally different value to `location`until the player moved away from the portal... then I re-assigned it to suit whichever location I was actually in! lol... amateurish I know... but it worked as a `quick fix` ;) lol... it would have got complicated when I added more locations though!

Thanks again :)

Paul

big10p(Posted 2007) [#6]
No probs. ;)

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#7]
Some cool stuff you got there on your website Quantum :o) Talented guy.

Quantum(Posted 2007) [#8]
Thank you Ross :) *blushes*

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#9]
Hi, Just a quick tip. Write a title thats relevant to your question. Generally 'Really basic HELP! lol' arn't acceptable in forums. :)

Quantum(Posted 2007) [#10]
`Really basic HELP!` referred to the fact the I was asking a `really basic` question about `basic`... infact, a question I was almost too embarrased to ask because I should have known the answer... having been writing programs probably since before you were even an itch in your daddy's pants! lol

But point taken :)