How to add a plastic sheen

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/How to add a plastic sheen

siread(Posted 2007) [#1]
I want to create a realistic looking soccer ball. I have a texture that wraps the ball nicely but it just doesn't look anything like a real football. I'm thinking it needs a texture to highlight the seams/segments of the ball, plus it needs to give off a shiny high gloss effect. I've tried adding shininess to the ball but this doesn't really do much but add a shiny spot on the ball.

Any tips?

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#2]
Try a cubemap or spherical enviroment map. Texture flags 64 and 128.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/b3ddocs/command.php?name=LoadTexture&ref=3d_a-z

As for the seems, i dunno. You could try a normalmap. Shouldn't be too difficult to adjust the normals. Problem is :D The rest of your graphics best be up to scratch or it might look out of place.

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#3]
For the Spherical environment map, you create a texture with a black backround with white blobs, or streaks, and blend it with the textures below. Try different settings and blend modes.

As for cubemaps, they are a bit different and probably not much different effect really. You need 6 square textures assembled in a straight line. So if you were using 128x128 textures, your cubemap would be six of these, (for each different side of the cube)

So, your cubemap texture would be 768x128. Same again with the black backround and white streaks, blended with the texture below. Experiment a little :o)

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#4]
for the seams in the ball, you could try specular maps, just copy the soccerball texture, and make the seam areas black, everywhere else, white. To apply specular mapping, use this, I think it does speculars...

Pongo(Posted 2007) [#5]
here's an example I made quick for you. The ball is made more shiny than usual to show off the effect better.

www.andimages.com/proofs/pongo/blitz/ball.zip

This uses a combination of a ball with the seams modeled and a dirt layer that hides the light reflections. The same concept would work on a basic sphere model with the correct texture map.

siread(Posted 2007) [#6]
Thanks for the tips guys. Pongo, I can't download your zip. The connection timesout. Any chance you could email it to me?

Pongo(Posted 2007) [#7]
Try it again now. Our internet connection was down for a bit earlier.

If you still have trouble I can email it later. (It's about 1.7 meg)

siread(Posted 2007) [#8]
Wow, that's exactly the effect I'm looking for! Very nice, Pongo.

Now, how to create a champions league ball model with star shaped segments...

siread(Posted 2007) [#9]
Actually it's not the segments I need star-shaped but just the texture. Something like this:
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/260165

Any tips on how to create a texture like that?

Pongo(Posted 2007) [#10]
Looks pretty basic. All of the pentagons have the same texture, and all of the hexagons have the same texture. You simply need to get them to line up with each other.

Are you trying to do everything with textures, or can you use a mesh with the seam details? The example I made is fine when you are just looking at a ball, but probably a bit heavy if it is just a small part of the scene.

siread(Posted 2007) [#11]
I'm actually using the ball mesh for an intro screen, not match action, so the more detail, the better.

I'm not quite sure how to achieve the star effect, but this is my efforts so far...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVBEbbLUdv8

siread(Posted 2007) [#12]
Hey pongo, is that your own ball model? I would like to know if I can use it in my game as the cheap ones I've found on Turbosquid have some slight issue whilst the expensive ones are a bit overkill on detail (and expensive). :)

Pongo(Posted 2007) [#13]
Yes it's my own,... made just for showing you that example, so you can consider it yours!

No credit needed, feel free to use as you wish.

siread(Posted 2007) [#14]
Wow, thanks pongo. You're da man, and I certainly shall credit you. :)