So I bought B3D

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/So I bought B3D

Jamison754(Posted 2007) [#1]
So I bought Blitz3D for $100... a week later, I see BlitzMax... I'm stumped and sad. :( I had no awareness of BlitzMax - I'm in love with it now. Specifically, it's fully OO. Should I spend another $80 for BlitzMax?

Ked(Posted 2007) [#2]
Should I spend another $80 for BlitzMax?
I would if I had the money.

I wish we were allowed to trade a product in with another one. That would be awesome.

Jamison754(Posted 2007) [#3]
Well, I've been looking through BlitzMax... and I don't see any of the Blitz3D functions at all. Only OpenGL stuff. In the description of the product, it says "BlitzMax retains the BASIC roots of Blitz3D and BlitzPlus, but adds a ton of cool new features and abilities."

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#4]
What do you want to do? If your new to programming and want to do 3D stuff then stick with Blitz3D, the product is still used a lot and most would consider it 'easier'.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#5]
Welcome to the brotherhood (and sisterhood).

Max is a fantastic language as is B3d, you won't regret either purchase. There is no DirectX 3D incorporated into BMAX - it does OPenGL if you can get your head around that, but if you like the language and want to do 3D there are numerous 3D engine wrappers around (and physics wrappers to go with them) just find the one which best suits your style and requirements and away you go.

IPete2.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#6]
Thats wrong.
Max2D is DX7 and OpenGL

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#7]
I'd get bmax if I didn't have my game (WIP) coded in b3d...it'd take like a month to translate

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#8]
If your a beginners, or want to get things moving quickly, then Blitz3d is your thing. Super easy to use! I'm still using it after about 5 years. Plus, look at the great games that have been done in it. I don't think you'll regret your purchase.

I'd say, in my own opinion, BlitzMax is aimed at the slightly more experienced coder, and is probably a little harder to use, BUT, you may find it more flexible.

Mortiis(Posted 2007) [#9]
Blitz3D is more than sufficent for the indie gaming market. It's still powerful. You won't regret your purchase.

Jamison754(Posted 2007) [#10]
To Ross C:
Well, I'm an experienced programmer - coming from C, C++, C#, Java, VB, and BASIC. So BlitzMax is a walk in the park for me.

But like I said in my post above, I was mis-guided by the description for BlitzMax - it "retains the BASIC roots of Blitz3D and BlitzPlus" but has none of the original Blitz3D functions at all.

I might decide to buy BlitzMax later down the road for 2D projects - I still really like the language structure.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2007) [#11]
I would have to say, youll not be disappointed in B3D. I have used C++, C, Java, a little and VB and Dark Basic a lot. I have been working on a game for over a year and everytime I accomplish a major part of it, I am thankful for B3D. You'll be suprised with what you can accomplish in B3d.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#12]
Max doesn't have the built in 3D, but I think you will find it a far better language with your background. There is miniB3D, a free module that can give you B3D esque 3D functions. It's not quite as developed as B3D, but it's improving all the time.

If I was you, I would have a *quick* think about it, and if you prefer Max contact BRL and say you made a mistake and want to trade. You can only try.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#13]
Jamison,

Check out my website to see what's possible in B3d:

http://www.smartscreenuk.com

Check out these in particular:

M42 project
NNC project
ssGB project

IPete2.

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#14]
Max doesn't have the built in 3D, but I think you will find it a far better language with your background

Do you have any experience programming in C++?

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2007) [#15]

I wish we were allowed to trade a product in with another one. That would be awesome.

they let me trade B3D with B3D SDK after asked them in an e-mail. try it they might let you.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#16]
they let me trade B3D with B3D SDK after asked them in an e-mail. try it they might let you.

OK. I'm not sure they will because B3D and B3D SDK are a little more alike than B3D and BMAX. But I'm gonna try anyway.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#17]
Kip,
I sent it to sales. I'm not sure that's the right place though. Where did you send your's?

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2007) [#18]
i sent it to the Contact tab on the website.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#19]
I know. Then it has a textfield for return email address, a combobox for either Support or Sales then a textarea for the message.

How long did it take for them to reply back?

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2007) [#20]
Use Support.

It took them within a day i think.
Not to long.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#21]
OK. I re-sent it to Blitz Support instead of Sales.

Thanks Kip for your help!

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2007) [#22]
No problem.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#23]
No sorry we don't offer trade-ins.

Are you kidding me?!

I will trade a Blitz3D license for a BlitzMax one, if anyone is interested.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2007) [#24]
Sorry it didn't work man.

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#25]
Isn't there a price difference between them?

Ked(Posted 2007) [#26]
$20 dollars. But I told them they could keep it.

Can't you code BlitzMax in Blitz3D SDK?

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#27]
You can use the Blitz3D SDK with BlitzMax, correct.

But the Blitz3D SDK isn't the same as Blitz3D. There are things that are not in the SDK. (the modified FMod and other things)
As well, it has funnily bugs that B3D does not have.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#28]
You can use the Blitz3D SDK with BlitzMax, correct.

You mean you have to buy BlitzMax and Blitz3D SDK to be able to code in BlitzMax with Blitz3D SDK? Or can you just get Blitz3D SDK and be able to code in BlitzMax?

All I want to be able to do is create modern-looking 2D games. I'm not even going to try and waste my time with 3D. So if anyone wants to get rid of BlitzMax and go for Blitz3D I will take their BlitzMax and they can have my Blitz3D.

@Kip: Did you really get to trade? Who replied back to you?

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#29]
Hmmm, you can make some cracking looking 2D games in blitz3d, by emulating the 2d with quads and sprites. There's a great library for that... Forget the name of it though...

Got it!

nSprite 2

http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=71

Lets you use 3d as if it were 2d, with the added benefit of alpha, realtime rotation and scaling and blending modes :o)

Ked(Posted 2007) [#30]
It looks good. But I'd rather get BlitzMax. (Multi-platform.)

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2007) [#31]

@Kip: Did you really get to trade? Who replied back to you?

yeah, I told them it wasn't working for me and asked them if i could switch my orders. They gave me a new registration code and it worked.

Simon replied back to me.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#32]
yeah, I told them it wasn't working for me and asked them if i could switch my orders. They gave me a new registration code and it worked.

Oh yeah. That's real fair.
Yeah, Simon replied to me too.

Email's will be sent now.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#33]
Wait a minute, there may be some crossed wires here. There's one thing doing a trade if you just bought the product, but I wouldn't expect them to swap a product you've had for some time.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#34]
Uh oh. Kip, did you JUST buy Blitz3D and said you wanted to switch or did you have it for a while THEN wanted to switch?

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2007) [#35]
I had just bought it.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#36]
GREAT! Now I have to send an apology email to Blitz Support because I had lack of information. This should be fun.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2007) [#37]
hehehe...