IS this possible with blitz?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/IS this possible with blitz?

DCI(Posted 2007) [#1]
I own blitzbasic and blitz3d.. the project ive been working over in my head is this.. a 2 piece program, a server, and a client app.. a game.. The player, explores a pre-defined universe, creates a settlement, buildings, mines for resources, builds war machines, and other products.. sells them on a Game wide auction system to other players who are playing and doing these things at the same time.. if 2 players get in conflict, the zone inwhich their fighting, will display a 2d top down representation of the zone their in, with icons for the unit's in play.. including the unit's armor, shields, weapons and ammo status.. the player should be able to log in for the first time, create a login and password.. which will set up their account.. etc..

is writing a game like this beyond the capability of the Blitz products? which would be better to write the game in? blitzbasic (blitz2d) or blitz 3d? would someone be willing to talk to me about the game, give me a few pointers on the proper way to start? im very eager to learn and have nothing but time.. but i do need someone to help and atleast set me on the right path. please help me!

email me at Killian@... if you want to talk about this in private.

DCI(Posted 2007) [#2]
correction, i own Blitzplus and blitz3d

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#3]
do 3d, it'd be much more interesting. This all sounds possible with blitz, but it would take a lot of time, especially the networking. You would have to create a server, potentially your computer to act as one, or buy a computer to act as a server, which if the game is to be commercial, would be ideal. I don't know much (anything) about networking with blitz, but as long as blitz can do local and global network changes (display different things per computer based on a set of variables global to all players), this oughta be possible.

If you need someone to do some graphics for you, let me know at chwaga@...

Gnasher(Posted 2007) [#4]
it should be able to be done in both of the products, you can go two ways on the server part, one server wich has login info, auction server and a world server this is kind of how the big games are, so when players want to buy and sell they would go to the "auction hall and access the auction server" and so on

units building and resources would be handeled by the world server.

then we come to the server side programs these can be coded in any language you feel forī, they will handel some sort of database which you gone access with your blitz client applications

compare Blitz+ with 3D, can you add your own DLL files for extenden functionality and so on

depends on skill,
0) planing what stats the unites will have, game mechanics in confrontattion, how will the fights be resolved and so on resources mining times all this info will later go into a database where you will get em by query it for em ..

1) basic coding ( data sets, how to acces data from arrays or other data holding structures)
2) graphics 2d 3d which feels easyet for you to work with
3)look at TCP/IP comunication how it works, creating an small client server there
4) blitz accessing a server made in other language C C++ .. java and so one where you have a data base attached to it
5) client sending sql querys to server which responds and send appropriate data back to Blitz client
6) here you would tie it up all

this will take time, but start small and experimente, these project for one person will probobly take no less then a year to complete

some hints, i think its preaty complex game but its possible to do it :)

//Gnasher

Matty(Posted 2007) [#5]
One thing to note if you are using a stand alone server PC is that blitz had a problem with running on PCs that have either no sound card or no mouse connected. I cannot seem to find the bug report that was placed for this about a year ago (?) but I know it hindered one user from deploying a network game due to the requirement (not on the box mind you) that blitz requires a mouse/keyboard and/or soundcard or else it throws an error. That was a while ago though and may have been fixed.