Huge Map?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Huge Map?

Azaratur(Posted 2007) [#1]
I need to create a huge map, but i don't know how...
I thinked to create many little maps and put them near (like a puzzle) but i understand that is not so easy...
I create an huge map but this have too many poly (more then 50k!!!).
Can you suggest me a good way to create a "low" poly map, and how texturing it?
In a demo map i see an heightsomething.. What is it?
In the same demo i see a jpg file with grass color, rock color and road color (in other word a texture of a map!) How i can create it?

Sorry i am a beginner.. :)
Aza

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#2]
Aza,

A Heightmap is a greyscale image which defines how the terrain it will create will look. The white/light grey areas will be high and the darker areas will be low. Black areas will be lowest.

See the "xfighter.bb" demo in the samples folder in 3d under MAK folder in the blizt main installation folder. Have a look at the media to see what the terrain bmp looks like.

Also the Markio castle demo has a terrain map, as does the car demo.

The terrains generated are Blitz terrains and they have a few clever functions and features which make expansive maps worth doing this way. Check out filax's 'TerraEd' or the other terrain editor 'TED' as featured in the toolbox section of this website.

Good luck.

IPete2.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#3]
as IPete said, a heightmap is much like a greyscale displacement map. The lighter areas go up, and the darker areas will go down. If you're having trouble with lag, there's a way to use LoD managers in blitz, so things get lower-poly as they get further away, It's in one of the examples that come with blitz.

Azaratur(Posted 2007) [#4]
Thanks for reply, just another few questions..

(ipete2) thanks i'll try this programs, if i'll have other problem can i ask to you again?

(chwaga) so i understand what is the heightmap, but i try the terrain' command and i don't like too much. Lod? Level of detail? it's only for terrain or not? can you explain me better? How i can texturing a map with 2 texture? (grass and mountain)

I want know your opinion,if you must create a huge map (oblivion style), what system you'll use?

if i create a big map with 3dmax and find a way to texturing it, how i can make it "lighter"? (less poly)

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#5]
Level of Detail is a system where objects, or tris further away from the camera, become less-poly. I myself am not sure how to do this, but is 3ds max, there is a modifier "optimize", and I think "multi-res" and with them, you can lower the poly count to your desire.

Azaratur(Posted 2007) [#6]
Ok thanks, i find the multires in mesh option.
Do you know how i can place 2 texture in the same mesh? (like a map grass and mountain)

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#7]
I'm pretty sure you can... I think I've seen it before...
EDIT: Of course, there's always UV mapping...

Yo! Wazzup?(Posted 2007) [#8]
If you mean Samples/mak/multi_tex
then yes you can... But I don't think thats what you're saying is it?

Azaratur(Posted 2007) [#9]
Sorry i am a real begginner! I want make some grass in a terrain and a mountain then i need to use 2 texture.. In 3ds max i can do it, but i don't know if i can do it from blitz code, and of course how..
Now i can't see the samples, later i will take a look.
Aza

Hotshot2005(Posted 2007) [#10]
I think you check out Grass party

http://www.gothasoft.com/Default.aspx?tabid=105

I think they are low polygens

Adam Novagen(Posted 2007) [#11]
Of course, there's always UV mapping...

"Yo! Wazzup?":

I'm really not yet into 3D, so don't shoot me for this, but depending on the size of the mesh, wouldn't a UV-mapped texture either be really big or really low-res? Y'know, from being stretched so far? I mean, of course, it depends on mesh size as opposed to detail, but still...

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#12]
Azaratur

Just some information for you to think about.

Blitz 3D will not render a mesh if it is not inside the camera's view. So anything behind the camara will also not be rendered. You can take advantage of this by making separate mesh models.

So... another way to do what you originally asked would be to build the huge map as a lot of smaller sections which line up exactly. You will need to design your map so only a certain amount can be seen at any one time. Also by carefully hiding larger meshes you can keep the polygon number being rendered right down.

You could also have a look at the culling system originally used for maps made with Quill 3D.

Watch the surface count in B3d and keep texture sizes to 2048 or less, and look into DDS textures, for added benefits of compression.

Hoper some of this helps.

IPete2.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#13]
how can 3ds max do multi-texturing as you mentioned? I've been trying to figure out but without luck...

grindalf(Posted 2007) [#14]
http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/

L3DT is a good greyscale program that solves a lot of your problems(and its free)

Azaratur(Posted 2007) [#15]
Thanks to all,
I have another question.. What is culling system and how can i use it?
For multi-texturing in 3d max you can do it poly by poly, there is the tutorial in material..
Thanks Aza